4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Ram 1500 to get V-6 diesel in the third quarter.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 10:48 AM
InterpunX
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ram 1500 to get V-6 diesel in the third quarter.

Not sure if this is old news, but it's the first that i heard of it. Thought I'd share it with everyone.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...first/1917131/

Old 02-14-2013, 11:46 AM
MacDak
Professional

Yep, I love it! We here are all over this news - second post already!

Old 02-14-2013, 01:31 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 02-14-2013, 02:31 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Meh. About the same torque and towing capacity as the Hemi, couple extra MPG and $5K more cost, plus the added cost of diesel fuel.

Not seeing any reason to get all excited

Old 02-21-2013, 12:14 AM
Arvada
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been wanting to drive an 8-speed hemi to see what the big deal is. But it will be ineresting to see the MPG ratings on the diesels.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:13 AM
LU229
Banned

I agree with oldjeep. Pointless to own one due to the EXTREME cost and maint of diesels.

Even though the article says the V-6 turbo charged diesel wont bare much of any premium price difference compared to the hemi, i dont see where they`re gonna set the world on fire with this diesel option. (like the article also said, maybe if they`re lucky a .07% increase in sales) The price of diesel fuel alone will kill anything gained, not to mention what the maint will cost to keep it up.

Not exited about it at all.... i`ll keep running the hemi`s until they arent available anymore.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:26 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

The whole purpose of diesels is to have more pulling power. 1500's are limited, so what's the point? I understand pleasing the consumer, but it's going to be a limited market for sure.
I tow 6-7klbs regularly and my truck has no problems in doing so! I'll stick to the lighter, easier to work on, cleaner smelling, Much quieter gas engine.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:28 PM
Nate769
All Star

I have to agree with a few users about being interested in what this new diesel will do. I was really hoping that with all the rumors a few years ago we might see it sooner. However I am not impressed with its output either, as some of you already are.

BUT having been removed from the hemi world, and into the cummins world I could see a possible upside. YES I do have a much bigger diesel then this one will ever be, however there is something to be said about LOW end torque. When I am pulling my 10k trailer, my tranny doesn't shift at all. Unless I am going up a 12% grade at 120, but even then its only gonna shift once. It also still wont be SCREAMING up a hill, it will maybe go up 3-400 rpm to around 2100. It never misses a beat. Again I am also going to pushing double the torque then the v6 will, but the motor operates differently.

MPG? Well, that too could be a deal breaker. Once we see some numbers on that it will make or break this motor. Apparently the older diesel seen in jeeps were getting around 30, if you put that in a pickup ya its going to go down. But how much? Not to mention its the older diesel, so if its any indication it could be not bad. Even if you took say 20mpg in the ram (its low), and put a 8k trailer on that. Your probably gonna see a MPG drop by around 5 at the most. How many of you with hemis could pull a 8k trailer at 15mpg? I know I sure couldn't. These are lowballing numbers too.
I am not trying to persuade anyone, just throwing some numbers out there.

The only thing that is really going to worry me about this motor is the diesel emissions regulations. If any of you keep up with that, you will know its a REALLY hard go right now. Ram is seeing some pretty high numbers in its 2012 cummins sales. The only reason is that its the last pickup truck ever being made without the new DEF fluid. For those of you who don't know its a fluid you must add to your truck (in a separate tank) that fluid is injected upon ignition and is supposed to help burn off emissions. Think of it this way tho, if your driving a winter road and you forget to fill up your washer fluid. You run out on the highway miles away from civilization, where does that leave you? Yup hooped. Same thing with this DEF fluid except worse, you run out. Good luck getting home, because you won't be travel very quick very long. Not to mention the issues these motors have with these systems. Everyone is having them FORD, GM, DODGE. Even the big rigs. When these systems shut down it renders your truck useless. The government and EPA, are now HARD on cracking the guys that pull these systems off. Shutting down tuner manufactures and aftermarket exhaust guys.

The only reason why I am mentioning all that, is because we will probably see those same systems in this new v6. Its gonna allow more HP with fewer emissions (which is why its mandatory on all new diesels now) But comes with complications. Its hit/miss for most people. But my cummins when I bought it was so bogged down with the regular emissions crap (particulate filter and EGR). I could never imagine my truck running DEF, with the filters. I am fully tuned and deleted right now, and its a whole new motor again. However by having done so, I might have created potential warranty fights if I ever have problems. The problem now is the DEF fluid injector is something that has not been hacked by tuner makers to turn off. With the governments after their tails I don't see a program for that coming any time soon.

Now not saying there won't be any aftermarket supplies available, there will still be some tuning options, but they will be limited. They won't have the option to disable the filters, but you still will have the option of generating an extra 100 hp. Which is still more then you will get with a gasser, but is it worth complications.

The emissions could alone in itself be a deal breaker for me. I use my truck for work, as I am sure many more of you do too. Do you want to be out a day because your filter got clogged and now your truck won't drive more then 40 km/h? I sure don't. So that's something that you will have to consider too. Not just diesel expenses and repairs.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:04 PM
Talon_66
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thing Canada doesn't follow the EPAs rules, Im thinking about the 2014 V6 Diesel... Id strip off the DEF system in a heartbeat

Old 02-24-2013, 04:17 PM
Nate769
All Star

Originally Posted by Talon_66
Good thing Canada doesn't follow the EPAs rules, Im thinking about the 2014 V6 Diesel... Id strip off the DEF system in a heartbeat
Canada does follow EPA, EPA is a federal standard. Here in Alberta we can get away with it because we have no provincial regulations. However technically we can still get hit pretty hard. But because EVERYONE around here runs deleted systems, its hard for it to stick. The focus in this province seems to be the big rigs, and up north. They don't seem to worry about your "average" pickup on the highway.

If you travel to BC, you put your truck on "hot" and blow any kind of black, you bet your coming across the boarder with a fine. Now if it will stick or not cause you don't live there, I am not sure.

The other problem is you can't strip the system, or even the filters off. Not without having the tuner to modify that part of the system. H&S, the leader is not producing them anymore. As stated they are still producing tuners, but you won't have the ability to modify the system as far as filters and DEF systems. If you strip the system without actually turning it off, well now the computer goes into limp mode.

The other problem is that its a brand new motor. Chances of H&S even looking at providing options for deletes are slim. The EPA is all over them, and I am sure would be even more so against a brand new motor...

Quick Reply: Ram 1500 to get V-6 diesel in the third quarter.