4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Enough with the earth tones!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 09:38 AM
JCinDE
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enough with the earth tones!

Still shopping for my new 4th gen. I've had a charcoal gray 3rd gen for 10 years. I was hoping to spice it up a bit with the new one, but honestly I'm somewhat disappointed in the color selections. This seems to be the decade of drab.

I guess the "flame red" looks nice enough and I'll probably go with that.

Were yellow Rams just a limited run? Or did they not sell well enough?

Old 07-22-2013, 11:18 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard or read somewhere that chrysler use to get ther paint pigment from japan, and since the tsunami, no more color pigment from japan. This has effected alot of the auto industry. Thats likely the reason so many have ugly paint choices now... or worse, limited paint options.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:24 PM
JCinDE
Professional

Interesting. That'd explain it I guess. Would be nice if they'd offer "premium color options" for a few hundred dollars upcharge in that case.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:20 PM
bluebeast1562
Veteran

Picked up my 2013 about 2 months ago, Deep Cherry Red, love the color, much better than the flame red IMO.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:06 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bluebeast1562
Picked up my 2013 about 2 months ago, Deep Cherry Red, love the color, much better than the flame red IMO.
I had the Inferno Red (basically the same) on my 09. It looked great clean, but was ALMOST as bad as black, showed the dirt and dust.

I also noticed some of the wild Wrangler colors recently toned down as well.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:06 PM
War Horse
All Star

The RAMs had yellow in the 3rd Gens, and only in 2009 for the 4th Gen. After that RAM switched the "wild color" to that orange-ish looking tone, which I think they called Mango Tango. Mango was dropped last year, or maybe 2012, for a darker shade which is called Copperhead or something like that.

I'm still fond of my silver, but if I was buying another one today, I'd definitely go with the Flame Red. A co-worker just picked up a 2013 Laramie with Flame Red and Silver two-tone. It's a really nice color, and I'd love to see it on a new Sport.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:22 PM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by War Horse
The RAMs had yellow in the 3rd Gens, and only in 2009 for the 4th Gen. After that RAM switched the "wild color" to that orange-ish looking tone, which I think they called Mango Tango. Mango was dropped last year, or maybe 2012, for a darker shade which is called Copperhead or something like that.

I'm still fond of my silver, but if I was buying another one today, I'd definitely go with the Flame Red. A co-worker just picked up a 2013 Laramie with Flame Red and Silver two-tone. It's a really nice color, and I'd love to see it on a new Sport.
I dont think you`ll ever see two-tone on a sport truck, the sport theme has always been one solid color bumper to bumper. Personally, i would quit buying the sport if they two-toned them. Two-tone paint jobs remind me of the saddle shoes of the fifties...YUCK...!

Old 07-23-2013, 04:40 PM
War Horse
All Star

You're right, the Sport only comes in a solid color. The Laramie, Laramie Longhorn, and Outdoorsman all come with two tone. I think you can still get the Monotone option on the Laramies to get them a single color, but you're stuck with it if you go the Outdoorsman route. Some of the two tone color combinations I'm not a fan of, but a few look decent.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:14 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

The Outdoorsman you're not stuck with two tone. I was just on the RAM site and they clearly show that you can option monotone paint.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:03 PM
War Horse
All Star

Good to know they give the option. It's a wise move on RAM's part since there's probably plenty of folks to love the Outdoorsman package, but hate the two tone as well.

I just went over and checked the Outdoorsman options out. Wow, there's even more earth tones for it than the other RAMs! Anyone up for Prairie Pearl or Western Brown?

Quick Reply: Enough with the earth tones!