4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Bilstein 5100 Install w/ New Tires Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 01:22 PM
billings.chris
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein 5100 Install w/ New Tires Problem

2012 Ram 1500 crew cab sport. Recently installed Bilstein 5100 series height adjustable shocks. When to the second top notch, made the truck perfectly level. Added new tires LT275/65R20.

Ever since seems I can't get the wheel alignment correct and there's a shaking in my steering wheel, and when the steering wheel shakes I can feel a slight pulse in the seats of the truck too.

The problem isn't consistent, almost seems it comes and goes around corners at highway speeds. Any ideas what the problem is?

Old 07-24-2013, 05:13 PM
War Horse
All Star

Might not be the deal with yours, but when I added the level kit to my front, I had a similar issue. Alignment was OK, but speeds the steering wheel would shake and the whole truck would rattle. I thought for sure the level kit had thrown something off and I'd have to pay out the **** to get them uninstalled.

Turns out the shop I used didn't have the proper adapters on the tire balance machine. The adapter they thought was right was actually putting the tires waaaaaay out of balance. It took several trips back to the shop, and them running them on the machine for a senior tech to realize what was going on. The shop was use to doing aftermarket wheels, not stock. In the end they did good by me and gave me about 3/4 of my total cost back, but it was a couple of weeks of headache that I can never get back. In the end I took it to a Dodge dealership, they balanced all four tires, and I was out the door in less than an hour with it only costing $25. The truck has handled smooth with level kit ever since.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:24 PM
billings.chris

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I've already had 3 alignments, and 3 wheel balances done. Maybe my best bet is to go back to the dodge dealership to get the wheels balanced and see if that helps.

Quick Reply: Bilstein 5100 Install w/ New Tires Problem