4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

noise from rear right when hitting bumbs

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 01:32 PM
aktrite28
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise from rear right when hitting bumbs

ok guys i know mechanics kind of hate this but this is starting to progress and become annoying. when im on a bumby road or just hit a bump, i here a noise best described as loose change in my pocket, very faint noise with radio off/low but its obvioulsy there. any help on trouble shooting or any experiences on what this is?

Old 09-30-2013, 12:18 AM
maka
Amateur

You have anything in the bed of your truck? Your jack tight whereever its mounted under your seats? You eliminate everything from inside your cab?

Old 09-30-2013, 11:30 AM
aktrite28
Professional

Nothing in the cab, my bed is empty however I do have a fiberglass toneau cover maybe that has some play? I seriously doubt it as I recall this noise since before I installed it. I aslo checked the side steps to see if they are loose.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:34 PM
War Horse
All Star

Have you checked the spare tire? Mine gets loose sometimes and I have to give it a crank to tighten it back up against the bed.

Outside of that I have an odd noise coming out of mine as well. Sound like a chain dragging when you hit a bump. I've climbed under there server times to give stuff a kick or shake and still can't locate the source.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:23 PM
maka
Amateur

Loose tailgate?

Old 10-01-2013, 01:40 PM
aktrite28
Professional

Ahhh! No I haven't checked the spare, will do but yhat sounds like the same exact noise I have

Old 10-07-2013, 07:08 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can you give us a description of your truck...do you have ram boxes? A lot of guys had issues with that, so check those if you have that. Any suspension mods to your truck? I had an issue with the strut rod nut loose on my bilstein 5100's...check your tailgate. Also check your hood...honestly it's prob. your bed cover. I have a tool box in my truck and it annoys the **** out of me if i have my rear slider window open. I've gotten to the point of keeping the slider window closed.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:03 PM
War Horse
All Star

I had my truck in the shop today for an oil change. While there I asked them to take a look at the rear to see if they could find the rattle. Lucky for me they found it! Turns out the rear shocks were loose. The bolts holding them in place were starting to work their way out. The passenger side was slightly loose, but the driver side was pretty bad. Anyway, the shop tightened them up with an air wrench and it seems good to go. I drive home with the windows down and didn't hear a single rattle.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:25 PM
aktrite28
Professional

oh ok good thanks for that info, I will look into that myself

Quick Reply: noise from rear right when hitting bumbs