4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Loud clicking on start up behind glove box???

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 12:00 AM
USAF1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud clicking on start up behind glove box???

Just today, my 2010 1500 TRX 4x4 starting making a loud clicking noise in what sounds like is right behind the top glove box. Hear it loud for about 30-45 secs then stops right after starting engine then stops. Raised the hood while it was happening, nothing moving in that area. Looks like might be coming from the area where the computer(?) is mounted on the firewall (or something about 10" x 6" x 2" with four large plugs going into it). Noise might also be coming from cowl area right above the "computer" but its totally enclosed. Anybody experience this or have any idea what it is?

Old 10-11-2013, 08:28 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by USAF1
Just today, my 2010 1500 TRX 4x4 starting making a loud clicking noise in what sounds like is right behind the top glove box. Hear it loud for about 30-45 secs then stops right after starting engine then stops. Raised the hood while it was happening, nothing moving in that area. Looks like might be coming from the area where the computer(?) is mounted on the firewall (or something about 10" x 6" x 2" with four large plugs going into it). Noise might also be coming from cowl area right above the "computer" but its totally enclosed. Anybody experience this or have any idea what it is?
Possible related to the heat/ac unit...??? Have you tried different settings on the heat/ac to see if this effects the noise...?

Old 10-11-2013, 08:44 AM
kddsRam
Veteran

Its sounds like one of the actuators for a blend door for your hvac. Mine went bad but the one that controlled which vent the air comes out so it was behind and under the actual hvac unit. I think there are about 3 of them in various positions behind dash.If you google recall K17, one of the guys posted a canadian tsb that has a good diagram of where they all are. Open your glove box, if this is it, you may be able to take the glove box out and get to it easy . Mine was covered under that safety recall since the defrost vent no longer received air. The one behind glove box may be for heat and cool and not covered.

Good luck

Old 10-11-2013, 10:56 AM
USAF1
Professional

Think you both are dead on. That's exactly what it sounds like, coming from right behind the glovebox. I'll try changing vent settings and see what happens. Figures - it just went out of 3-year warranty....

Old 10-11-2013, 03:33 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's the outside air/recirculating air actuator. I'ts a PIA to get to. I think the dealer wants in the neighborhood of $800 to do the job.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:35 AM
USAF1
Professional

$800!!!!!!!!! Holy crap, just dropped it off at dealership to have it fixed. never in my wildest dreams would I have expected anything close to that. Must call them on Monday..... Jeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 10-12-2013, 10:06 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$800!!!!!!!!! Holy crap, just dropped it off at dealership to have it fixed. never in my wildest dreams would I have expected anything close to that. Must call them on Monday..... Jeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Call chrysler directly... they might be nice and take care of it for you for free. A while back, ther was a recall on some of the heat/ac units, yours might just fall under that particular umbrella. Dosent hurt to call and ask. If you have a decent dealership, they might be able to work with you and chrysler on it... sometimes miracle`s do happen.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:52 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a link to another member's experience with is what I think the same issue you have. He ended up doing it himself, you may want to PM him for some idea on the difficulty. He was quoted $750 for the job.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen...placement.html

Quick Reply: Loud clicking on start up behind glove box???