4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

4th Gen question for the 4th gen Guru's

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 08:41 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts
Default 4th Gen question for the 4th gen Guru's

Hey guys, quick question, a buddy of mine is in the market for a Ram and has found a nice 2013 quad cab, 2WD. It has an 8-speed auto and the 4.7. He will not be towing or hauling much (Jet ski trailer mostly). The truck has 18,000 miles and the price is @$22,000. Any problems with that combo of engine/transmission? I had the 4.7 in my Dakota and it was a pretty stout engine, but I dont know anything about that 8 speed. Any info/input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:30 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

They use the ZF transmission kit which is German made. Has been in millions of vehicles. Audi/BMW/Mercedes..etc
Its a standard platform that gets altered for each manufacturer to fit their particular needs.

Here's a fantastic Chrysler based write-up on the trans and the multiple variations they are using:
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/ZF8.html

Chrysler may have a spin off of their own, but they are all based off the ZF platform I believe.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:01 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the only reservation I would have is the resale value due to the 4.7. The engine is a dinosaur and discontinued. They are being used up until they run out. The 8 speed has great gear ratios so the truck will run really well. The new v6 has as much power as the 4.7 and much better fuel economy. I myself prefer the hemi with the 8 speed.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:48 PM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
the only reservation I would have is the resale value due to the 4.7. The engine is a dinosaur and discontinued. They are being used up until they run out. The 8 speed has great gear ratios so the truck will run really well. The new v6 has as much power as the 4.7 and much better fuel economy. I myself prefer the hemi with the 8 speed.
x2 I would walk away from a 4.7 myself. I would rather have the Hemi as most would. Plus, with the diesel coming out, the 4.7 will be the fourth choice for many hurting resale even more.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:08 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I understand what everyone is saying, but the 2012 has the revamped higher HP 4.7L!
It also is priced a couple G's lower than a Hemi, so the lower resale value then is attributed to the lower purchase price now. I'm sure that same truck would be $2k more with a Hemi right now which is $40/mo more!

The longer his friend drives the truck the more benefit he will see and less he will have to worry about resale value. A 100kmi 4.7L is not going to be much different than a 100kmi 5.7L. Maybe $5-800 less. That means his friend saved +$1k in the end by owning a less desirable 4.7L on Just the purchase price alone!

While the 4.7L does get the same gas mileage as the 5.7L with less power, it can use Regular grade where as the Hemi needs midgrade(more expensive). Here in NY, midgrade is $0.30/gal more. So, driving 50kmi in a Hemi will cost you $1k more in fuel than the 4.7L will!!!

Old 01-22-2014, 06:46 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to start a gas war but my '09 has almost 73k miles and I've been running 87 octane since new. The other factor affecting resale is the fact that it's a quad cab. Out here in southern Cal, the quads get deep discounts to move, the crew cab really killed demand. For another grand or two (depending on the equipment) he can probably get a brand new one with a newer engine.

here is a listing of the brand new 2013 rams with the 4.7 for less than the $22k - all of them with the 6 speed though. Out the 14 left over 2013 trucks, one is a regular cab, another a crew with the 8 speed and v6 and 12 quads with the 4.7. The price is less than $22k and they will still deal on them. You can put lipstick on a pig, but....

http://www.cerritosdodge.com/new-inv...elections=true

Last edited by Pedro Dog; 01-22-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:14 PM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It still doesn't matter. You know how it is, it's a perception thing. People will always think of the 4.7 as that old V8 that was around before the Hemi. Hell, is there any other vehicle that still uses the 4.7? Jeep? Dodge? Chrysler? Don't get me wrong, I know it is not a bad engine but given the choice, most will go with the Hemi and will shop for the same.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:29 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Thanks for the info guys!

Quick Reply: 4th Gen question for the 4th gen Guru's