4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What's the best tuner to get ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 08:26 PM
Caspero
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best tuner to get ?

I have a 2012 ram 1500 hemi and I'm looking to buy a tuner for it to help out with towing wondering whats a good tuner these days ? What's everyone using ? Pros and cons ? Any help would be great. Bully dog ? Diablo ? Super hips ? Etc.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:49 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious, what are you towing that the Hemi is lacking? I tow a 26' travel trailer weighing just over 5000lbs, up mountain passes, and my hemi has got more then enough power.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:09 PM
02Regcab
Professional

With the Performance tunes (91oct - 93oct) its usually advised not to TOW.
Superchips has a tow tune on their tuners although I have no real world experience with it myself.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:28 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Regcab
With the Performance tunes (91oct - 93oct) its usually advised not to TOW.
Superchips has a tow tune on their tuners although I have no real world experience with it myself.
I have Superchips 91oct tune and use nothing but 93oct. I tow all the time. Never had a problem, but then again, I'm never lugging the engine. That is when damage occurs. Plus I have the added octane...
I never used the Tow tune. Takes waaaaaaaaaay too long to change tunes. It's ridiculous. At least Diablo was ~60sec. Superchips takes ~5min but I like the SC better AND it has more features IF you use the Advanced Trans tuning software. Not sure what they have avail for the 2012's though as far as trans tuning? I've been out of the loop with that stuff for quite some time now.
My trans is tuned much more aggressive than stock so that helps as well. Truck tows MUCH easier than before.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:40 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I have Superchips 91oct tune and use nothing but 93oct. I tow all the time. Never had a problem, but then again, I'm never lugging the engine. That is when damage occurs. Plus I have the added octane...
I never used the Tow tune. Takes waaaaaaaaaay too long to change tunes. It's ridiculous. At least Diablo was ~60sec. Superchips takes ~5min but I like the SC better AND it has more features IF you use the Advanced Trans tuning software. Not sure what they have avail for the 2012's though as far as trans tuning? I've been out of the loop with that stuff for quite some time now.
My trans is tuned much more aggressive than stock so that helps as well. Truck tows MUCH easier than before.
Superchips tuning takes 5 minutes?? Mine seems considerably longer than that. Maybe 10-15. Painfully long.

Rob

Old 02-06-2014, 07:21 PM
Caspero
Amateur

I will be towing a jayco 30' bunkhouse with a golf cart in the bed. I will mainly be using the tuner just for the gauge read outs when towing because my dodge does not have a trans temp gauge and I'm nervous of pushing the truck to much and wiping out the trans so I'd like to be able to keep an eye on it. When not towing I plan on using the tuner for around town driving. I was thinking of just throwing in a auto meter trans temp gauge on the a pillar in a pod mount but it seems like a pain to tap into the trans to get a temp read out.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:55 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

The Superchips tuner doesn't have a display for use while driving so that is probably not what you want.

Rob

Old 02-07-2014, 01:39 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge
The Superchips tuner doesn't have a display for use while driving so that is probably not what you want.

Rob
What about the Vivid?

Old 02-07-2014, 01:51 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

I didn't see that model of Superchips tuner come up as an option for a 2012 RAM 1500. When I searched it only listed the FlashPaq. I could be wrong though.

Rob

Old 02-07-2014, 07:03 PM
Caspero
Amateur

The vivid would have been perfect for what I'm looking for but I'm a iPhone fan. Looks like it only works with android. Just my luck. I think I'm going to just put a trans temp gauge in and forget the tuner. Maybe put the temp and airlift gauge in a double pillar mount.

Quick Reply: What's the best tuner to get ?