4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Clay Bar

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 07:08 PM
bluebeast1562
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clay Bar

Just trying to find out if there are any negatives about using a clay bar system on the 2013 paint? Have had the truck for almost a year and been thinking about using the system.

Thanks
Birk

Old 02-21-2014, 11:24 AM
LVRR
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No negatives that I can think of. Excellent for cleaning all that nasty stuff off your paint, just wash your truck thoroughly before you use the clay bar. The thing to be careful of is if you get grit into the clay, a large particle can scratch the paint. Same thing with a sponge or micro fiber towel. Just check it frequently , it will get dirty but it is suppose to and if you drop it don't use it.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:38 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Fairly new paint for the need of claybar.
Just realize this...claybar does sand down your clear coat ever so slightly. Just don't go overboard with the stuff and you'll be fine.
I told my friend about this and he laughed at me. Well, after using claybar once a year, at the 8th year, his clear coat started to oxidize and flake off because it was so thin. He only used clay bar and never power buffed with an aggressive materials...

My truck is 6yrs now and I will do clay bar for the very first time this spring.

You can use a 3 step. Cleaner, polish, wax for a much safer and less aggressive approach. I did this every spring with fantastic results. Now, I have a bit of weathering and swirls to overcome being 6yrs old and all.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:49 AM
PostalTwo
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Fairly new paint for the need of claybar.
Just realize this...claybar does sand down your clear coat ever so slightly. Just don't go overboard with the stuff and you'll be fine.
I told my friend about this and he laughed at me. Well, after using claybar once a year, at the 8th year, his clear coat started to oxidize and flake off because it was so thin. He only used clay bar and never power buffed with an aggressive materials...

My truck is 6yrs now and I will do clay bar for the very first time this spring.

You can use a 3 step. Cleaner, polish, wax for a much safer and less aggressive approach. I did this every spring with fantastic results. Now, I have a bit of weathering and swirls to overcome being 6yrs old and all.
that im sorry to say is completely false. Clay bar does not remove any clear coat it is merely a cleaning media. and is perfectly safe to use several times a year without any ill effects. do some research on it if u dont believe me. any professional detailer is going to use clay after washing before they start scratch removal, polishing, sealant or wax.

Quick Reply: Clay Bar