4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Radio upgrade to Kenwood Nav unit

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 06:46 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I like Kenwood. I owned several Chameleon CD players in the day(although every single one had a problem at the 2yrs mark....) Always had a problem with the flip face motor, which is why i specifically chose a HU that did not have a flip face for my truck. I'm fine with the 6" screen. heck, it's bigger than any portable Navigation unit for sale...

I have had a Pioneer Avic-f90bt since 2009. I chose Pioneer because it was THE only radio with Nav that offered:
a)use of an SD card
b)didnt have a flip face
c)Had 4v Pre-out RCAs
d)customizable interface(via programming)
e)had a screen that turned into an ipod when hooked up(only one at the time)

I too like Garmin and Hate most others I have tried(Magellan, TomTom.etc). I have to say, I am very pleased with the Navigation in Pioneer(not Garmin). I can change maps though, so that's nice. I've used it countless times and have only barked at it like 2 or 3 times.
Pioneer is able to be customized. I have all the unlocked goodies, upgraded software, and Windows CE for user interface upon boot up(if triggered). I'm sure I can use it to connect to the internet by tethering my phone but I haven't the interest for that and never bothered. I have an S4 and that's a whole lot faster anyways.
The Pioneers did have initial release issue's with their software, but that has all be remedies by updates back in 2010.
Current boot up is ~30sec and phone pair is 1min30sec.
The full 8GB SD card delays boot up slightly, but that's fine. Cold weather only slows the screen down, doesn't delays boot up at all.

I was thinking about upgrading my device, but it seems they have not made any significant changes since I got mine so, we'll see.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:28 PM
JoshuaAckley
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the guys that installed a radio with navigation, where did you end up putting your GPS receiver? On my 06 there was a place in the center of the dash that could be used. Trying to get an idea before I install my stereo in my new truck this weekend.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:41 AM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoshuaAckley
For the guys that installed a radio with navigation, where did you end up putting your GPS receiver? On my 06 there was a place in the center of the dash that could be used. Trying to get an idea before I install my stereo in my new truck this weekend.
Mine is on the dash at the front against the windshield. About lined up with the middle of the drivers side wiper arm where it attaches to the blade. It's small enough you cannot even notice it unless you look for it.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:25 AM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

So you just ended up putting it on top? On my 06 I had it underneath the dash. Preferred it that way you couldn't tell it was there. Guess I might have to make do with it on top as well.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:56 AM
NV290
All Star

Originally Posted by JoshuaAckley
So you just ended up putting it on top? On my 06 I had it underneath the dash. Preferred it that way you couldn't tell it was there. Guess I might have to make do with it on top as well.
I used that spot under the center on my 06' as well. No place like that on these 11's though. It's a very small antenna and i have a dash mat anyhow.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:45 AM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

Okay thanks. I appreciate the help!

Old 09-13-2014, 07:41 PM
bluebeast1562
Veteran

What I would give to be able to replace my factory radio. RA1 is what I have and would love to have a system that has CD, factory radio hook up for Ipod, SAT radio and navigation. Hohum.
Currently have my backup camera in my rear view mirror, that is good so no need to change that.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:43 PM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

All you have to give is several hundred dollars lol. You can get all that and more

Old 09-16-2014, 06:05 PM
NV290
All Star

Originally Posted by bluebeast1562
What I would give to be able to replace my factory radio. RA1 is what I have and would love to have a system that has CD, factory radio hook up for Ipod, SAT radio and navigation. Hohum.
Currently have my backup camera in my rear view mirror, that is good so no need to change that.
My signature shows the system i have which would also work in a 2013. My factory steering wheel controls work as well. I have the backup camera too but that was an option, you don't need it for the system to work.

The radio also has Garmin GPS, not the poor quality factory Nav's Dodge uses. The radio (Kenwood DNX0571HD) goes for around $650. The steering wheel control interface is around $75 and the Satellite Radio receiver is about $100. Random instalation supplies would run another $50. So all told you're well under a grand. And you will have the best GPS money can buy, HD radio, CD, Ipod interface, DVD player, Blutooth phone interface as well as Pandora.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:02 PM
bluebeast1562
Veteran

Originally Posted by NV290
My signature shows the system i have which would also work in a 2013. My factory steering wheel controls work as well. I have the backup camera too but that was an option, you don't need it for the system to work.

The radio also has Garmin GPS, not the poor quality factory Nav's Dodge uses. The radio (Kenwood DNX0571HD) goes for around $650. The steering wheel control interface is around $75 and the Satellite Radio receiver is about $100. Random instalation supplies would run another $50. So all told you're well under a grand. And you will have the best GPS money can buy, HD radio, CD, Ipod interface, DVD player, Blutooth phone interface as well as Pandora.

Regarding the upgrade you did, were there any hiccups on the install? Plug and play?
Thanks

Quick Reply: Radio upgrade to Kenwood Nav unit