4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Question for a Chrysler Rep.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 10:14 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cyclone429
A tacoma, 6 sp will meet my needs better than:a hemi 8 speed automtic.
And a ctd 6sp sp is way more truck than I need.

I enjoy driving stick shifts, More positive nteraction and sense of control than poping a dail into drive..

My maytag offers more dail turning joy!!
Why the sour attitude?
Most truck makers have gone this route because it's more preferred by 99% drivers.
Even the Tundra doesn't have a Manual transmission so don't bash Dodge for keeping up with the competition and making reasonable executive decisions.

Go buy Yota already if you really want a manual transmission that doesn't offer up anything other than manual labor and slow shifts.
Or just go play with your maytag that gets you more enjoyment.

Originally Posted by RSDodgelover
From my many years and miles of experience a manual transmission gets noticeably better fuel mileage. Also IMO it gives you better control, performance (except in drag racing) and versatility than an automatic. JMO
Nope. not in this guys scenario.

Toyota Tacoma:
4cyl with a pathetic 159HP gets 21mpg Hwy w/stick
V6 Toyota w/236HP still 21mpg HWY w/stick
Toyota Tundra:
V6 auto 20mpg Hwy

Ram:
V6 has 305HP and gets 25mpg HWY with an Auto

Most people don't have a 2nd car to drive for various reasons. Most who own a truck drive it everyday. Their practical truck use is only done maybe 10% of the time they actually drive so your fighting with the manual transmission and what not for the majority of the time. That's not a fair trade off to me.
Also, with the new capability of tuners these days, I have full control over my auto transmission. I control when it upshifts and downshifts while retaining it's fully automatic capabilities. Automatics have dominated the market place and will continue to do so.

Last edited by dirtydog; 06-04-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:42 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Manual transmissions in past hemi 2500 is the current CTD, version G56.

All 2500 hemi manuals are not exclusively the G56, but so simple to add to a base 5.7 hemi.

Tacoma with manual transmission or 2015 F150 V8 is the debate, if im forced into a automatic.

Thanks to all! Who stopped by.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:55 AM
Owensue
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not a simple add in as the computers and everything related need to be re-programmed to account for manual control. Look at all the money they saved not paying a separate engineering team (programmers and debuggers) which result in competitive pricing and a dedicated effort focussing on the automatic only driveline.

The programming cannot simply be copied off the CTD models, they are a completely different beast, same with the manual car models, so many differences to take into consideration, sensors, timing, features etc. it's a lot of work.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:58 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by Owensue
It's not a simple add in as the computers and everything related need to be re-programmed to account for manual control. Look at all the money they saved not paying a separate engineering team (programmers and debuggers) which result in competitive pricing and a dedicated effort focussing on the automatic only driveline.

The programming cannot simply be copied off the CTD models, they are a completely different beast, same with the manual car models, so many differences to take into consideration, sensors, timing, features etc. it's a lot of work.

And not worth it for the couple hundred a year that they might sell.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:40 PM
Dusty48
Veteran

I know this is just over a month old, but if a person wants a manual transmission I don't think it should bring any shame to them. There are still a few folks who prefer a manual, if not for the increased sensation of control, to reduce complexity.

My first eleven cars were manual and I can still drive one as well as anyone. But frankly, despite the "pansy dial," as my young son refers to the shift control on my new 8-speed automatic, I have come to appreciate the extreme smoothness, efficiency, and quietness of the 8HP70.

Regards,
Dusty

2014 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP70, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 005200 miles.

Quick Reply: Question for a Chrysler Rep.