4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

1/2 v 3/4

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 02:29 PM
trz
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2 v 3/4

Still debating whether to buy half ton or three quarter.

It will be daily driver and occasionaly pulling 26' tt.

Question...will a 3/4 ton w/ hemi necvasarily pull better than a 1/2 ton w/ hemi? I understand there are variables but, generaly speaking.

Question... Will 3/4 t w/hemi neccasarily get worse gas mileage than 1/2t w/ hemi?

Question.... Would the Ram with cummins be a better option for me?

Old 11-09-2015, 11:24 AM
biggcrisp
Rookie

Originally Posted by trz
Still debating whether to buy half ton or three quarter.

It will be daily driver and occasionaly pulling 26' tt.

Question...will a 3/4 ton w/ hemi necvasarily pull better than a 1/2 ton w/ hemi? I understand there are variables but, generaly speaking.

Question... Will 3/4 t w/hemi neccasarily get worse gas mileage than 1/2t w/ hemi?

Question.... Would the Ram with cummins be a better option for me?

Are you buying New or Used?

For daily driving and occasionally towing a 26' TT -- my choice would be the Eco Diesel.

3/4 t makes for a great work truck.

Ram with the cummins is a serious work/haul truck.

Do you see a 5th wheel in your future?

Old 11-09-2015, 12:31 PM
trz
Rookie

Used! Thinking 2010-2012. Probably not a fifth wheel in my future!

Old 11-09-2015, 04:03 PM
biggcrisp
Rookie

Originally Posted by trz
Used! Thinking 2010-2012. Probably not a fifth wheel in my future!
Maybe someone with a 3/4t can chime in on gas mileage, etc.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:37 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

The 3/4 ton is about 1000 lbs heavier, so I am pretty sure gas mileage will be worse with the same engine. 3/4 ton trucks do not have MDS either, if memory serves, so that will contribute a bit too, especially on the highway.

How much worse you ask? Real world numbers, we'd have to wait for some 3/4 ton owners to step in.

If you were buying 2014+, I'd say look at an EcoDiesel, as biggcrisp suggested.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:46 AM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a weight on the trailer? The 3/4-1tons with the hemi get about 12mpg. If you drive a lot of miles, and tow that trailer frequently I would be looking hard at the 3/4 Cummins. The only reason I would stay away from the half ton eco diesel is because it's to new and I like to let vehicles be out for few years to prove reliability before I go buy one. If you decide to go diesel, just know maintenance is higher as are any repairs when stuff breaks.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:17 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are buying used, try to at least get the 8 speed with the hemi in a 1/2 ton. The 5-6 speed 545RFE tranny is reliable but the gearing sucks. It doesn't sound like you need a 3/4 ton, but it depends on the weight of your TT.

I would personally stay away from the ECO Diesel, the engine and emissions system are problematic. First year models (2014) are having many issues, (Stuttering due to the heads getting carbon build up, new heads are needed. Oil in the radiator and visa versa, blown engines even on the 2015s, and many more issues). After the warranty runs out the ecodiesel is going to be a money pit.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:39 PM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Occasionally towing a 26' can be a lot of trucks. How much does said trailer weight when hauling it and how many miles are you going to average towing it and what kind of terrain are you towing in?

If you are nearing the max tow on a 1500 and you will be towing often and in hills, might be worth stepping up to a 2500. Whether you get a diesel is more a money thing than anything, you definitely don't need it if a 1500 will actually handle it but if you want it and can afford, that's your call. I'd hate to have it as a DD. Just too much vehicle to drive back and forth to work with.

Quick Reply: 1/2 v 3/4