4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Mds

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 01:09 PM
trz
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mds

Buying an 09 and I'm wondering how many people actually like the MDS. I've seen several post that are negative but, was wondering if thay are a big headache and do they improve gas mileage at all.

Old 12-24-2015, 02:38 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

It's costly when it gets old and there is a malfunction. Personally I would rather not have it.

Old 12-24-2015, 04:27 PM
biggcrisp
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My opinion: Giant headache!

In 4 cylinder mode the motor bogs down before switching back to a V8.

I don't normally drive conservative and do not care about fuel consumption. Clarification, this is a heavy 390 hp truck. It has fuel injection. That's good enough for me. I don't need some annoying gimmick.

I have the 5 speed with 3:55 rear. Maybe other year/combinations aren't as noticeable.

It's the only thing that I don't like about my truck.

Old 12-24-2015, 05:51 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like it fine in my 2009 CC. I don't really notice it at all unless I look down at the indicator. My truck is OEM stock and at almost 102k miles has never had an issue with the engine (except broken manifold studs). It does improve the MPGs some.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:43 PM
LVRR
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here, I like it in my 2009 and it runs seamlessly for me with no troubles. Just make sure you use the proper weight oil for the engine and service it regularly.

It only takes a few milliseconds for the system to switch from 8 to 4 and then back from 4 to 8, not enough time to bog an engine down

Quick Reply: Mds