4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bad Paint Job?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 01:59 PM
DodgeRam09
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Paint Job?

I just bought a 09' Ram Sport from the stealership. A guy traded it in with 600 miles on it to step up to the Laramie. I've had it a week today and it is a certified used. I was cleaning of the salt from a snow storm and noticed what looked to be freckle rust bleeding from the paint all over the body. You can only notice it when you get real close and concentrate on a specific area. I also noticed on the hood near the windshield that the white was dull and looks like they missed a coat or clearcoat on the paint job. The truck is white. I didn't know if any one else noticed a crappy paint job or if this really rust. I washed, clay bared it, and waxed. I tried hard to get the spots off but I can only make them a little smaller. I tried to get pics but they won't come out. I was thinking maybe they had rust in the spray line and it got into the paint. I also saw on the top of the roof where it looked pickled like they got sand in the line. I am thinking this may be typical for the rest of the trucks that came out with mine.

Last edited by DodgeRam09; 02-08-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:27 PM
bigred3297
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that, i made sure to look over my entire truck before i drove off because i had a similar problem with a crappy paint job on my charger. The entire hood wasnt clearcoated properly and the bumpers started flaking, dealership wouldnt repaint it so i traded it in for the truck at a different dealership down the road.... Went back that day and let them know i had just purchased a new truck, their mistake

Old 02-08-2009, 06:41 PM
DodgeRam09
Professional

This is very hard to see. You have to get right up on it. I didn't notice it until I started waxing it and you really have to focus on it. My camera can't even pick it up. The clearcoat is hard to see too along with the pickling. I am going to call Dodge tomorrow and see what they have to say since it is under warranty.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:51 AM
WVU Fan
Professional

Take it to your dealer and see what kind of an explanation they come up with. Don't settle for a bs excuse from them if you know they are feeding you a line of bull.

I had an 06 Charger that had a spot the size of a dime flake on the hood. The repair shop at the dealership tried their best to blame it on a rock, and even brought a magnifying glass out to try and find a chip where it had flaked. They didn't, and they repainted the hood under warranty. Of course they did a crappy job, and had agreed to repaint it again, but I traded it for the 09 Ram before I got an appointment set.

On my truck, there are several flaws in the paint, but I'm not going to mess with it. From tiny spots in a couple of places where something just got in the paint to a run down low on the rear part of the cab. Sounds like your issue is more severe though and something I'd try to take care of right away.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:09 AM
DodgeRam09
Professional

Yea I am calling Dodge today. I think they either had rust and dirt in their paint line or they didn't paint it soon enough. I'll see what they have to say for themselves. I don't want to take it just to the dealer b/c I know they will b/s me. If it is rust from the inside out then sandblasting it and repainting won't solve the problem. That a cheap way of fixing something that is practically brand new.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:12 PM
DodgeRam09
Professional
Default Update

I called Dodge a few days after my last post. They said it was rail rust. They said paint has pores in it and when transporting it on the railroads the rust sits in the pores of the paint and won't come out with a regular wash. They told me to get it clay barred. I thought that sounded pretty logical. I spent 5 hrs clay barring the truck and got all the little freckle rust spots off. We just had a snow storm so I decided to wash the salt off and see if the spots came back. Sure enough there they were and now they are growing even bigger and more dense. If you have a white colored ram I'd look for it. I am now wondering if this is the reason the guy turned it in after 600 miles.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:23 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I was just about to say rail dust, but you beat me to it.

Clay bar or even a cleaner wax will get it with some muscle.

Also not washing your truck regularly and not keeping it waxed in salt states will cause it. I had it on the rear bumper of my TA after 3 weeks of not washing this winter.... The bumper is plastic! Particles attach to the paint, then those rust.

The other thing you can do is have the paint protection put on it. They come with warranties against this kind of thing, if it heppens they will detail it for free.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

I guess that's one of the benefits of not living in a state where they salt the roads.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:45 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i found some small defects in the front passenger door. the red is coming through the gray at the bottom front part of the door. most can't notice it, but i can.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:47 PM
capsfloyd
Captain
Default paint

Originally Posted by sarguy01
i found some small defects in the front passenger door. the red is coming through the gray at the bottom front part of the door. most can't notice it, but i can.
Stay on them all the time, if the person you are talking to at the dealer. Change to am]nother or go up the chain.
If you do not like there answer call for a rep from dodge.
You might look at the lemon law, we have this in texas.
I filed it on a Yamaha Motor cycle and won.
It states that if you take you auto in for the same problem 3x in a year and still have problem , look at the lemon law?

Quick Reply: Bad Paint Job?