4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rattle passenger side dash/door?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:37 AM
mike2810
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle passenger side dash/door?

Purchased a 2009 Dodge Ram1500 Hemi Quad Cab SLT 4x4. Truck was very quiet inside for the first 400 miles. Its now developed an intermittent rattle on the passenger side. It more noticible driving at slower speeds and when going over small bumps in the road. I have not been able to completely isolate where the rattle is, but I think its in the dash above the glove box. Any ideas of what could be loose?

I plan to take it into the dealer next week and see what they can do.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:50 AM
SAXN8R

Check the passenger seat belt. Mine was making a rattle and I noticed when the seatbelt was not flush with the side of the truck it would rattle. What I mean is that the part that you plug into the buckle was caught between the seat back and the side of the truck.

Hope this helps.

Corey

Old 02-20-2009, 08:55 AM
mike2810
Captain

Originally Posted by SAXN8R
Check the passenger seat belt. Mine was making a rattle and I noticed when the seatbelt was not flush with the side of the truck it would rattle. What I mean is that the part that you plug into the buckle was caught between the seat back and the side of the truck.

Hope this helps.

Corey
Thanks. Checked that and the rattle is still there. Had a passenger in the truck and it looks like its in the dash. Hope the dealer can get rid of it. At least it doesn't rattle much on the freeways.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:21 AM
Dr. Bill
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The passenger seat belt is a bummer. Anytime someone takes the belt off, it turns sideways and slaps the door frame.
If you have ruled that out, the most often rattle that I hear is the center console to dash junction. Be sure and check the glove boxes for anything rolling around.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:33 AM
jram99
Veteran

That passenger belt is a pain when not sitting correctly. I took my wife and boys out and showed them how it needs to look when they are their friends get out of the truck. I hate rattles of any kind. Reminds me of a true story. When I bought my 83 Ram Charger it had a clunk/rattle noise in the passenger door. I finally got tired of it and took it back to the dealer to figure it out. While I was standing there talking to the svc mgr, the tech pulled the door cover off and started feeling around. Couple seconds latter he pulls out a Lone Star long neck empty!! I still can not figure out how that got in the door on the assembly line but at least it was my brand. Still cracks me up to this day. Jeff.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:19 AM
Daytonatruckin
Amateur

My RCSB 4x4 front suspension makes a noise like something is loose when going over dips in driveway and bumps. The dealer is going to look at it Monday. I hope I don't hear the classic line "it's a characteristic of the design".

Old 02-20-2009, 06:30 PM
mike2810
Captain

Originally Posted by Daytonatruckin
My RCSB 4x4 front suspension makes a noise like something is loose when going over dips in driveway and bumps. The dealer is going to look at it Monday. I hope I don't hear the classic line "it's a characteristic of the design".
I've got mine scheduled for Tuesday. Could be the suspension, though if I tap on the passenger side dash I can get a rattle. Hope the dealer can fix it also without sayings "its normal".

Old 02-20-2009, 09:06 PM
NCBigHorn
Amateur

i have a slight squeaking from mt seat somewhere. its kinda annoying when driving because it makes a low squeaking noise. i have a big horn with the 40/20/40 seat in cloth. anyone else get that? wondering if anyone can help. it only has 6600 miles and i only weigh 210 lbs and am 63.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:39 PM
boc

I put in OEM side steps and got a rattling noise over bumps on the passenger side. I took the step off and ended up putting a spacer in between the middle bracket and the truck. fixed the noise. Check the side steps if you have them.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:42 PM
ikaika
Banned

I had a annoying rattle that turned out to be the seat belt. Got on eBay and bought a pair of seat belt shoulder pads with the ram logo. This added the xtra buffer it needed. Issue resolved.

Quick Reply: Rattle passenger side dash/door?