4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Horrible MPG on my 09 Ram

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 03:27 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you buy this truck because of MDS, or did you buy it for the Dodge apeal.

Gm trucks will allways get better MPG and will match any hemi in any day driving due to the one facter no one considers...

Chevy's and GMC and a a lighter truck than a dodge.

Turn off the OD and disable the MDS, your city MPG will improve and no one ( fords, GMS ) is getting good MPG with winter gas.

Welcome to the Dodge side, life is good here ..

Old 03-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cyclone429
Did you buy this truck because of MDS, or did you buy it for the Dodge apeal.

Gm trucks will allways get better MPG and will match any hemi in any day driving due to the one facter no one considers...

Chevy's and GMC and a a lighter truck than a dodge.

Turn off the OD and disable the MDS, your city MPG will improve and no one ( fords, GMS ) is getting good MPG with winter gas.

Welcome to the Dodge side, life is good here ..
What?!?! First, you'd have to compare apples to apples - a Chevy 6.0 to the Dodge 5.7. When it comes to hp & torque, the 5.3 is nowhere near the Dodge Hemi. The Chevy 6.0 is only rated at 13/18 compared to the Dodge's 14/20.

Then why would you want to turn off the OD and disable the MDS? That is not going to improve your city MPG. The MDS can and will work even in city driving if driven properly. A 2500 does not have MDS.

And the Dodge is quieter and rides smoother than any Chevy or GMC truck. That's why you trade-in some towing capactiy even though you may have more power than a 5.3 Chevy.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:42 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having mds is not going to improve city milage, no way, for the short time you may be stopped at a red light and mds kicks in, your all ready steping on the gas, for the limited time you may find a hill long enough to coast down, mds is not doing a whole lot, Towing or hemi style driving disengages mds.

Driving smartly and the simple boaring stuff like tire psi, operating the truck with in the rpm shift range of the automatic and locking out the OD when not at highway speeds prevents the automatic from having to shift down into forth, shifting down eats flue, hard driving eats flue.

My 2500 hemi dosent have mds and I get the same or better highway milage than a hemi automatic ( mines a six speed manual)

Comparing horse power numbers on paper is really great, but, the Gm trucks are lighter than dodge, I don't know rear wheal stock h/p numbers for a dodge, ford or gm, but thats were its at.

If you want a dodge, and you like it, buy it and be happy, all brands are going to have strengths over A B or C

Gm has the same gizmo idea with cylinder deactivation as dodges mds, I'm not a really a fan of booth systems, as I hate automatics.

Soon thiers going to be a new 09 Ram in my garage, ( wifes truck ) so don't assume I'm down on Dodge.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah.... you keep telling yourself whatever you want to tell yourself to sleep at night. Fact is, MDS helps your mileage even in town. If you're cruising at 35 down a flat road, the engine will switch to 4 cylinders and you'll be saving some gas. MDS does not kick in while at a stop light. And obviously tow/haul mode will not engage MDS, but if you're not towing, why not save some gas?

Quick Reply: Horrible MPG on my 09 Ram