4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacing MyGig?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 03:14 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing MyGig?

I've been trying to figure out what I want to do regarding this matter. The two main things for me are to have a backup camera and the ability to watch video in motion. I know that I can buy a backup camera and a lockpick, but I've heard mixed reviews and issues encountered with the lockpicks. I was thinking maybe it would just be better to replace the whole unit - then I could also add nav which mine currently does not have and I know I won't experience any issues. Here are some of the units I was considering:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_099AVN6...20.html?tp=144

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130avic...IC-F900BT.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130avic...IC-F700BT.html

Anyone have any thoughts on any of these? The prices look pretty good. Anything I haven't considered like compatibility with the 7 speaker system?

Old 03-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Kneedragger

I'm curious about this as well

I decided to go with the cheap stock stereo and update it when I get the truck

I think the the stock radio is smaller than the systems you posted and you will have to cut into the dash to make them fit

Old 03-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

I haven't measured it, but I thought the stock stereo was double-DIN or 4" tall, no?

Old 03-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Kneedragger

Not double DIN , but 1.5 DIN

here's the post I was looking for

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen...h-install.html

Old 03-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Well, after reading all of that, even though I have a great stereo installer who's done all sorts of custom work on my boat and did a great job on a custom backup camera install on my last truck who is pretty reasonable, I don't think it's worth it.

When I add in the cost of the compatible backup camera, factory antenna adapter, getting the Sirius to work, and then the factory steering wheel buttons, it's not worth it. I like the MyGig and don't really have that much use for Nav (I either know where I'm going, use the Bold in a pinch or grab TomTom before I leave). I guess I'll just have to order a lockpick and take my chances.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:32 PM
bigred3297
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sobomaster
Well, after reading all of that, even though I have a great stereo installer who's done all sorts of custom work on my boat and did a great job on a custom backup camera install on my last truck who is pretty reasonable, I don't think it's worth it.

When I add in the cost of the compatible backup camera, factory antenna adapter, getting the Sirius to work, and then the factory steering wheel buttons, it's not worth it. I like the MyGig and don't really have that much use for Nav (I either know where I'm going, use the Bold in a pinch or grab TomTom before I leave). I guess I'll just have to order a lockpick and take my chances.
Backup Camera is $100, antenna adapter i made was $10 (they might even have one out now), Sirius will work with no problems as long as the units are sirius compatible, and to get your steering wheel and speakers to be compatible is another $100. All you need is the mounting kit $20 and you're good. That's $250 plus your unit with in motion video, backup, nav, usb interface, ipod interface, better quality sound, bluetooth, etc etc. That seems like a better deal than a lockpick to me.

Let me know if you need any questions, i'm very knowledgable about car audio and i have already done an install on our model truck, won't have any problem helping ya out.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:24 AM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Well, I already have bluetooth & usb on the MyGig. I don't think the head unit is the limitation here when it comes to sound quality. Also, I don't own or support any Apple products.The antenna adapters usually run $20, there is usually a required Sirius adapter for the aftermarket units, even when they're "Satellite ready", and that runs ~$100, then you have the steering wheel controls adapter and the kit. I'm guessing $240 without the camera to be up and running (camera cost is the same for either way I go). Then you have to add the cost of the unit - another $600 or so. I already have the MyGig. So, I can spend 6 hours installing the aftermarket unit and pay more, or I can spend 30 - 45 minutes installing the lockpick and spend $269.

Quick Reply: Replacing MyGig?