4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Scanners...CB's...emergency lights?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 07:13 PM
JC1390
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scanners...CB's...emergency lights?

Anybody install any aftermarket electrical stuff? Being on the Rescue Squad and FD I have lots of stuff I need to install and was wondering if anyone has done anything yet? Looking for good spots to mount and good places to tap into power. Let me know if anyone has any ideas. Also anybody have instructions on how to take out the headlights?

Old 03-25-2009, 08:56 PM
switchblade906
Record Breaker

i would also like to know where to mount a CB

and i do have the center console so i cant do it there

Old 03-25-2009, 09:18 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking at the CB that had the controls on the mic and the radio can be mounted anywhere. You could fit the radio up underneath the dash, like near the steering column.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:21 PM
switchblade906
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by sarguy01
I was looking at the CB that had the controls on the mic and the radio can be mounted anywhere. You could fit the radio up underneath the dash, like near the steering column.
oh yeah i didnt think about that, good idea

but then what about the big ugly antenna

Old 03-25-2009, 09:23 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by switchblade906
oh yeah i didnt think about that, good idea

but then what about the big ugly antenna
Hmmm...what about dual whips up on either side of the bed near the cab? I like that look over a big single whip in the middle of the bed by the cab.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:27 PM
switchblade906
Record Breaker

Hmmm...what about dual whips up on either side of the bed near the cab? I like that look over a big single whip in the middle of the bed by the cab.
id rather have one that i can remove when not in use.

but i think that would look better

Old 03-25-2009, 11:39 PM
ShirtaDay.com
Banned

So... anyone have any recommendations on good strobes that I could put in the headlights and taillights? Figured this would be a good thread to ask in.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:47 AM
JC1390
Professional

Yeah i have the cobra cb with the controls on the mic from my old rig. I'll be finding a place to install come friday. As for antennas...I was thinking about going with the dual whips. I was contemplating getting a back rack when I pick up my toolbox. That way I can mount all my lights and antennas and what not. But idk how the back rack will look. Anybody have one?

As for strobes...what are you going to be using them for? I have some hideaway led's for sale. Which are 10x better than strobes. But if you really want strobes...there essentially all the same. 90w are a bit brighter than 60w and either 4 or 6 outlet, thats about the only differences. Is one brand better than another? Not really imho.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:29 AM
ezjeeper
Rookie
Default CB and antenna

I use one of those in my Jeep and I love it. It is a Cobra 75WXST. I want to get a separate control box for the new truck. That way I will just move the microphone between the vehicles. Here is a link to it on Quadratec: http://www.quadratec.com/products/96080_990.htm

As for the antenna, they have quick release mounts so you can put it on and off easily. Dual antennas require a certain distance between them to be effective. It has been a VERY long time since I messed with any of that. Our trucks might have the body width to do it, but I really don't remember how far it was supposed to be. Someone had tried it on their Jeep before and had problems. A forum member with knowledge explained how it worked and needed distance, but I don't know how much.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:47 AM
ShirtaDay.com
Banned

Originally Posted by JC1390
Yeah i have the cobra cb with the controls on the mic from my old rig. I'll be finding a place to install come friday. As for antennas...I was thinking about going with the dual whips. I was contemplating getting a back rack when I pick up my toolbox. That way I can mount all my lights and antennas and what not. But idk how the back rack will look. Anybody have one?

As for strobes...what are you going to be using them for? I have some hideaway led's for sale. Which are 10x better than strobes. But if you really want strobes...there essentially all the same. 90w are a bit brighter than 60w and either 4 or 6 outlet, thats about the only differences. Is one brand better than another? Not really imho.
Do you have any specific info on the led's? Where would you mount them? What do they look like? Cost?

I had a pair of Whelen strobes in the headlights and taillights on my '05. I used to buy/sell used cars and it was helpful when loading up vehicles on the side of the road - really makes people avoid you more than when you've just got lights on. Sometimes I'm picking up or dropping off packages and I'm not stopped in the best of places or just been in a few situations where I wish I had them. Just don't really want to spend what I spent on the last set.

Quick Reply: Scanners...CB's...emergency lights?