4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

resonators removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 08:31 PM
panamag
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default resonators removal

Should I get this done? Is it worth the time and effort?

Old 03-28-2009, 08:33 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

Nicer rumble when removed.

Last edited by bountyhunter; 03-28-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:40 PM
panamag

is it really that much of a difference? I put flows on my 2003 ram (someone stole that one) So I think this might be a safer route if it isn't too loud. in loudness, If stock is a one to flows being a ten, where would removing the resonator fall.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:45 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

2 - minor difference when accelerating.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:09 PM
JohnVI
Veteran
Talking

I had mine removed for two reasons, wanted a somewhat mild increase, and wanted to keep the cost down. I had the resonator removed, 3foot steel welded in place, and everything sprayed. Looks OEM, dealership when i started the truck in the service lane for a PCM update, went to the back and looked at the exhaust tip, then walked back and didnt even ask if i had an exhaust. It makes the hemi sound like it should, im very happy with that cheap $70 dollar upgrade! And its not to loud, this is my weekend family vehicle and i dont want it to sound like a Cobra with an "H" pipe

Old 03-28-2009, 09:30 PM
panamag

That sounds perfect. I think that is what I was looking for.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:41 PM
HEMI_ROM
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are the resonators supposed do anyway? Are they just for removing the MDS drone? TIA.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:46 PM
JohnVI
Veteran

Originally Posted by HEMI_ROM
What are the resonators supposed do anyway? Are they just for removing the MDS drone? TIA.
You have to think about the audience, a standard configuration is to provide something to the average driver that does not want the vehicle to do anything other than get them from point a to point b with the least amount of noise, trouble, hassle, etc. The rear resonator does nothing more than quiet the HEMI down -- Which we all think is just craaaazy

Old 03-28-2009, 10:20 PM
panamag

yeah CCCRAZZYYYYYYYY!

Old 03-28-2009, 11:07 PM
uashemi
Professional

Originally Posted by JohnVI
I had mine removed for two reasons, wanted a somewhat mild increase, and wanted to keep the cost down. I had the resonator removed, 3foot steel welded in place, and everything sprayed. Looks OEM, dealership when i started the truck in the service lane for a PCM update, went to the back and looked at the exhaust tip, then walked back and didnt even ask if i had an exhaust. It makes the hemi sound like it should, im very happy with that cheap $70 dollar upgrade! And its not to loud, this is my weekend family vehicle and i dont want it to sound like a Cobra with an "H" pipe
You took the muffler out I think. . . we are talking about the small "muffler" that looks like a turbo muffler, right? The big round one that would take a 3 foot piece to fill is the muffler. . .right? I mean really I know both are actually mufflers, but that is the only one that is welded. Mine has actually started to break in and I noticed a little more noise under acceleration

Quick Reply: resonators removal