4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cheap way to secure your tailgate

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 11:43 PM
dodgewasp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap way to secure your tailgate

Came up with a way to secure your tailgate. Use a stainless steel hose clamp and rap it around the ball mount on the bottom right side of the tailgate(having a hard time describing the mount). The gate now can't be removed without going to some trouble and I don't think a crook will take the time or have the tools to remove it. You can cut the excess ban off and bend over the remaining end and then the band will not thread back through the screw. Left mine where I can get it off if I need to. So even if a crook breaks the lock he still will have hell getting off the tailgate. BTW the clamp touches nothing when opening or closing the gate. Hope this helps some of you to avoid a tailgate theft.

Dodgewasp

Old 03-28-2009, 11:52 PM
uashemi
Professional

I keep hearing that people get their tailgates stolen. What part of twon do you live in? Damn I live in one of the worst areas of my town (well a bunch of want-a-be gansta's) and I haven't had anything stolen!

Maybe it's time to move!

Old 03-29-2009, 12:02 AM
dodgewasp

It does matter where you live.....it only takes once and you will wish you had taken some steps to keep what's yours. In answer to your question I live in a very nice small neighborhood but when I go to the malls, movies,restaurants or public parking places I worry about some crook taking my tailgate. Better safe than sorry.

Dodgewasp

Old 03-29-2009, 12:21 AM
bountyhunter
Banned

Original ideal of the day!

Last edited by bountyhunter; 03-29-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:15 AM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bountyhunter
Simple to spring a hose clamp with a screwdriver!
It may be enough to send away a would be thief. The thief may not even realize why the tailgate won't come off.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:41 AM
wmichell227
Veteran

Or the thief could cause more damage to the truck while trying to remove the tailgate. If a BG wants something bad enough, they're just going to take it no matter how much damage they cause.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:42 AM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wmichell227
Or the thief could cause more damage to the truck while trying to remove the tailgate. If a BG wants something bad enough, they're just going to take it no matter how much damage they cause.
This is true, but that is where insurance comes in.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:49 AM
wmichell227
Veteran

Originally Posted by sarguy01
This is true, but that is where insurance comes in.
And insurance will cover a replacement tailgate....... Don't get me wrong, I think anything that will slow down the BG is a good idea but you can go overboard.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:35 PM
allhans
Rookie

clever idea. thanks.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:37 PM
dodgewasp

No, it's not so easy. You place the head facing down towards the ground, then get a long handled screw driver and tighten it up from the bottom. No crook is going to take the time (or probably even know what to do) to crawl underneath the truck to undo a screw and as far as springing it....you can't because there is not enough room to maneuver a screw driver. Anyway I hope this helps some of you guys that don't have a negative attitude about everything that is posted here.

Dodgewasp

Quick Reply: Cheap way to secure your tailgate