4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rain drops falling on my head. Sunroof leak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 05:10 PM
Docwhitley
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have had this problem!!!!

OK this is my first day here and I might be able to help. I worked at a dealership that had a TON of Pollen and my Demo started to leak from the sunroof.... I got a lesson from the Service department that day. The Sunroof will usually have 2 lines that run down the A pillar and out through the bottom of the car. Those lines are designed to help drain any moisture that may get through the sunroof... Problem is these holes can also get clogged by sticks, pollen, leaf depris... you name it. usually can be cleared with a vacum or high pressured air. Good Luck

Old 03-31-2009, 06:07 PM
Mepsgod
Amateur

Thanks for the information. I will pass on to the service guy at the dealership. Of course he does not need me to tell him how to do the job. I just want my truck back.
How big are these lines, would'nt think that massive amounts of pollen would do this? I guess it is like paste after getting wet. Do I have this to look forward to every year?

Old 03-31-2009, 07:08 PM
Docwhitley
Rookie
Default Most of the time it is.....

leaves and twigs. I got in the fabit of just wiping the area when cleaning the car and never had that problem again

Old 04-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Mepsgod
Amateur
Cool I have my truck back home.

First let me say thanks to those who gave advice, I appreciate it. I picked up my truck today. After speaking with the mechanic there, he told me the line/hose was crimped. He said this was done at the factory, but he fixed it after removing the headliner. He told me I should not experience this problem in the future. I sure hope he is right.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Secret Agent Man
Captain

Was it the drivers side front drain tube? Also, was your truck built in St. Louis, MO or Warren, MI?

Old 04-01-2009, 10:15 PM
drober30
Veteran

Glade to hear they solved it in a reasonable time frame and it was an easy fix!

Old 05-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Nat Wynn
Default leaking sunroof

I too have a 2009 Laramie with a leaking sunroof. Same symptoms. Took it back to the dealer for the third time and this time they told me that Chrysler was aware of the issue, but they did not have a solution. The first time they had it, they soaped the top and turned on the A/C fan to high--bubbles formed all around the seal. Interestingly, you can tell when it will happen. It's as if the gasket does not seal. In that case the wind noise and air flow are pronounced in the top of the vehicle. When it does seal (not completely but better than some times) the sunroof is less noisy and does not leak into the A pillar nor the overhead console.

This is not my first sunroof so I have a little background with what to expect. My previous was a GrandCherokee and it never leaked. I still have it--great second car with almost 300,000 miles on it.

On the Laramie you can take a business card and slide it down between the roof and the gasket and experience no resistance what-so-ever. On the old Jeep you will not get a business card to slide in.

I am waiting to see if Chrysler gets a fix soon. About ready to duck tape it to keep the noise, whistle and rain out until they come up with a solution.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:44 PM
BubbaRadioNetwork
Veteran

There is a rapid response transmittal for sunroofs.

08-081--crew cabs w/ sunroof. sunroof drain tubes may have too much slack. check drain tubes & reposition if necessary.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Bboyg
Amateur

I was experiencing the same thing on my Laramie only on the drivers side A pillar. After someone else told me to chack the drain line, sure enough I could see that it was not draining the water that accumulated in the sunroof channel. I blew it out today with compressed air and now it seems to work just fine. You can test it by opening the sunroof and pouring some water into the plastic channel in the front of the sunroof. After I blew it out, the water would run straight into the drain tube and come out the opening inside the door hinge (about 1/2 way down the door -rubber valve thing).

Old 05-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Shumdit
Professional

This is not just a Chrysler problem. I worked at a Honda and BMW shop for years and it happened to cars from every generation. It is usually pine needles, pollen (buildup or the little pollen "globs" as they fall from the tree) or leaves.

Quick Reply: Rain drops falling on my head. Sunroof leak?