4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wifi...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 10:16 PM
Ironsides
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by War Horse
How different is this when compared to getting a data card for your laptop from your cell phone provider? Seems they both run on the cellular 3G network, so speeds should be the same. The only advantage I could is if you're running a wireless network in the truck with a printer.

I asked about it when I bought my truck. All the sales people had heard about it, and they even had the units for sale in the parts dept, but none of them had seen it come already installed in a vehicle.
It will act as an access point, so multiple laptops can be connected. And I think the monthly fee is less than an aircard.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:44 PM
War Horse
All Star

Ah, well in that case it'd make sense. I guess if you're riding around with a construction crew and everyone in the truck needs access, then it'd be worth it, especially if the charges are less than an aircard.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:06 AM
72combo
Champion

if you have a trickle charger on your truck you could use it at your house while you are there as a source for internet...maybe not such a good idea. Something would burnout for sure

Old 07-01-2009, 01:16 AM
Pinch99

The 3g Internet offered with these Dodge RAM's is almost the same speed as an iPhone or any laptop air card offered with 3G. It's a nice start, but not fast. Good for e-mailing or perhaps small amounts of browsing. But don't expect loads of youtube or any gaming.

This thing is just a Wireless LAN to 3G router.

I purchased this after market option from a company called cradle point.
http://www.cradlepoint.com/products/...oadband-router

It was easy to setup and allows my kids to use their laptops to chat with friends while driving.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:18 AM
Pinch99

I should add that you still have to subscribe to a wireless or 3G service like AT&T or Sprint, etc. Your monthly depends on your service. I would ask around because cellular vendors quality vary in each neighborhood.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Cartastic
Question hey there ??

Originally Posted by Pinch99
The 3g Internet offered with these Dodge RAM's is almost the same speed as an iPhone or any laptop air card offered with 3G. It's a nice start, but not fast. Good for e-mailing or perhaps small amounts of browsing. But don't expect loads of youtube or any gaming.

This thing is just a Wireless LAN to 3G router.

I purchased this after market option from a company called cradle point.
http://www.cradlepoint.com/products/...oadband-router

It was easy to setup and allows my kids to use their laptops to chat with friends while driving.

Does it actually work while the car is moving?? I heard that it didn't ... and I should get the Autonetmobile one. Any help would be greatly appreciatted.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:29 PM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by War Horse
How different is this when compared to getting a data card for your laptop from your cell phone provider? Seems they both run on the cellular 3G network, so speeds should be the same. The only advantage I could is if you're running a wireless network in the truck with a printer.

I asked about it when I bought my truck. All the sales people had heard about it, and they even had the units for sale in the parts dept, but none of them had seen it come already installed in a vehicle.
difference would be that if you have the card only you can hook up to the net, they are making your truck a server in essence.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:44 PM
72combo
Champion

If you are Canadian go to Rogers.com and look at their national which gives you the Canadian coverage....pretty much only in larger cities and tourist locations and up into Alberta quite far north, Diamond and Oil mines need 3g baby.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:21 PM
Pinch99

Originally Posted by Cartastic
Does it actually work while the car is moving?? I heard that it didn't ... and I should get the Autonetmobile one. Any help would be greatly appreciatted.
My son surfed the Internet on our Cradle Point router while driving from San Diego to Lake Tahoe Ca. 80% of the time he had 2 or 3 bars and was doing fine.... Cruising speed was about 80 mph (at 19mpg I might add).

Old 08-12-2009, 01:29 PM
switchblade906
Record Breaker

How much does that thing cost??