4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tonneau Covers

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Mattones
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked out a Tonneau Cover TRUXEDO LOWPRO

EDIT - - - I went to the local truck shop and picked out a Low pro Truxedo. Anyone have any pros and cons about these? I was shown how tough the fabric is and how it only unrolls when i unlock my tailgate. I was impressed. So i said sure but its on back order and they will have it in stock mid next week. The install charge is $36.00. Truxedo says it only takes about 10 minutes to install as it has clamps and such so i may just do it myself.
http://www.truxedo.com/lopro/index.php

I am looking into buying a Tonneau Cover I dont really one the soft tops as anyone can just peel/un button them and take what they want. has anyone ever heard or had someone had things removed from the truck bed with the soft covers?

I am looking into getting the Hard Folding Tonneau Cover that flips four times. But they are very pricey.

The Tri Fold cover is about half the price.

The Hindged cover doesnt intrest me as it needs two people to take off, etc and you gotta take it off everytime you carry something large.

Last edited by Mattones; 04-03-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:30 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

Solid covers pop easy with a small pry bar/screwdriver.

Last edited by bountyhunter; 04-01-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Secret Agent Man
Captain

I've always had soft covers and never had a problem with them. They're cheap, easy to roll up and reinstall. It covers the bed, keeps it dry, and looks good. I generally don't keep anything super valuable back there, and if I do it isn't for long. If somebody were to pull it back to take a look, they would already be committed to intentionally trying to steal something. Perhaps if I carried valuable stuff more often I would have invested in the hard cover version, but I don't so I got what worked best for me. You'll have to evaluate what is best for you.

Kind of a long winded answer but to sum it up, I've never had anybody mess with my soft tonneau cover. Just try to wear neutral gang colors if you ever park in a rough neighborhood.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Inbred
Professional

aside from my last truck which had a full cap, I've had basic snap soft tonneaus all my life. Never lost anything, or had anybody playing around. Granted I never kept anything of value in my bed. The cap was great for security and funtionality, but is expensive as all get out, and I don't care for the looks. Figured I'd go back to a soft cover this truck, since I've always reg cabs, most of the stuff I carried in the bed can stay up front now. I avoid the solid tops because I never know when I may need to carry something that won't fit underneath it, and don't want to deal with removing a solid cover when out and about where I may not have room in the bed to put it.

Basic soft tops are light on security, but huge in functionality. If you never carry anything of bulk, and security is a bigger factor, a solid will suit you fine. But as others said, if a theif is gonna go opening your bed on a prospecting mission, they'll likely do it whether it's locked or not. The damage just will be worse. That being said, I still take basic precautions, but they will only go so far.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Mattones
Professional

Most times the boss hauls around the tools in his van but some days i have to haul them. Its $1,000 worth of construction tools. Sure i can keep unloading them into my garage every night then loading them up in the morning.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Gerbie28

I myself went with the Pace Full Metal jacket retractable cover its some what secure, lets face it if the want in there isnt much we can do, i debated in which cover to get soft, fibreglass(Leer), foldable(Bak Flip) but decided that IMHO that for looks that it cant be beat

Old 04-01-2009, 10:41 PM
patpeoria

Can we have some pic from you Pace Edwards Full Metal? thanks

Old 04-02-2009, 11:10 PM
Blackzilla

http://www.craftecinc.com/index.php check this one out.....got one on mine easy on/off light as hell an low profile.

Last edited by Blackzilla; 04-02-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:33 AM
jaflowers
Professional

I bought the one you have pictured and really like it. It's a Fold-a-Cover LS series made for Dodge by them. It is not fully waterproof but keeps out 98% or more when sitting in the rain. Haven't really checked it when driving in the rain but I heard that it seals up better then. You do need to put a larger seal than it comes with at the front opening by the cab, a 1/2 to 3/4" seal works well.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Mattones
Professional

EDIT - - - I went to the local truck shop and picked out a Low pro Truxedo. Anyone have any pros and cons about these? I was shown how tough the fabric is and how it only unrolls when i unlock my tailgate. I was impressed. So i said sure but its on back order and they will have it in stock mid next week. The install charge is $36.00. Truxedo says it only takes about 10 minutes to install as it has clamps and such so i may just do it myself.
http://www.truxedo.com/lopro/index.php

Quick Reply: Tonneau Covers