4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Off Road

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009 | 01:29 AM
JohnVI
Veteran

that last shot looks like a good 09Ram calendar picture.

How does the ram handle in the snow ?

Old 04-05-2009 | 05:19 AM
MOPWR2U
Veteran

You can see in the pictures that I have upgraded the tires on my truck.

I've had my Ram in the snow twice offroad, and a few times on the highway. With the stock Goodyear HP tires the truck was really horrible in the snow, and pretty much wouldn't even go, ... at all. It was scary bad, and I didn't dare take the truck any place even half way challenging for fear of getting stuck. But with the new off road tires (I chose 35" Toyo Open Country MT) the truck is an entirely different animal in the snow. The snow in those pictures was nothing at all, and the truck could have easily handled much more. The truck drove like it was on a regular road, and never even slipped a tire. I'm very happy with the new tires, and with their snow performance.

I'm also much more comfortable taking my truck out into the back country with a more durable set of tires. I spend a lot of time in the back country, and any tire that is a P rated passenger car tire is asking for disaster. I've been stranded before because of rock cuts in tissue paper thin sidewalls from stock P rated passenger car tires, and it is no fun. The stock Goodyears don't cut it on a 4x4.

So for those of you that are going to be taking your new Dodge truck off road on more than a rare occaision, replace those P rated Goodyears as soon as you can. Any tire in the world is going to be better than the Goodyear HPs, even another Goodyear that is a truck tire, or off road tire. Passenger car tires are for passenger cars (end of rant).

Last edited by MOPWR2U; 04-05-2009 at 05:26 AM.
Old 04-05-2009 | 09:04 AM
bountyhunter
Banned

37's x 6" in action.

Last edited by bountyhunter; 04-05-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-05-2009 | 10:23 AM
ShirtaDay.com
Banned

Originally Posted by MOPWR2U
My son and I did about 200 miles of dirt roads today, exploring from Gunlock, UT to Beaver Dam, Arizona. Here are some pics.
MOPWR2U
Sounds like I need to plan a trip out to UT with the Hummer.

Old 04-05-2009 | 08:14 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

I don't have pics, but we got 4-5" of snow today. I drove down the unplowed highway and the truck was handling well. The tires did fantastic. They are the stock Wrangler 17's. I was in 4 wheel drive the whole time. Cars and some trucks were spinning out and I was cruising safely.

Old 04-05-2009 | 08:25 PM
Soop
Professional

I can't believe it but we might get 1 to 2 tomorrow night! Man!!!

Old 04-06-2009 | 02:05 PM
gpo.valcer

briguyit and ShirtaDay.com I didn't add anything to my truck... Remember it's a Mexican Dodge. Down here a 1500 it's a simple ST model. Our 2500 is you 1500, and so on with the rest of the line-up. The truck as you see it is how they come out of the Dealerships.

Old 04-06-2009 | 02:22 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

Mexican 4x4 Hemi Crew Laramie lists @ $436,900.00 pesos!

Old 04-06-2009 | 04:05 PM
buckarcher
Veteran

How is the articulation?

Old 04-06-2009 | 04:29 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MOPWR2U
You can see in the pictures that I have upgraded the tires on my truck.

I've had my Ram in the snow twice offroad, and a few times on the highway. With the stock Goodyear HP tires the truck was really horrible in the snow, and pretty much wouldn't even go, ... at all. It was scary bad, and I didn't dare take the truck any place even half way challenging for fear of getting stuck. But with the new off road tires (I chose 35" Toyo Open Country MT) the truck is an entirely different animal in the snow. The snow in those pictures was nothing at all, and the truck could have easily handled much more. The truck drove like it was on a regular road, and never even slipped a tire. I'm very happy with the new tires, and with their snow performance.

I'm also much more comfortable taking my truck out into the back country with a more durable set of tires. I spend a lot of time in the back country, and any tire that is a P rated passenger car tire is asking for disaster. I've been stranded before because of rock cuts in tissue paper thin sidewalls from stock P rated passenger car tires, and it is no fun. The stock Goodyears don't cut it on a 4x4.

So for those of you that are going to be taking your new Dodge truck off road on more than a rare occaision, replace those P rated Goodyears as soon as you can. Any tire in the world is going to be better than the Goodyear HPs, even another Goodyear that is a truck tire, or off road tire. Passenger car tires are for passenger cars (end of rant).
This is just the stock 20's. The 17's are fine.

Quick Reply: Off Road