4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Um, what about the F150 XLT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 03:21 PM
ShirtaDay.com
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my breakdown:

Exterior - Matter of opinion, so more or less a tie.
Interior - Also a matter of opinion, but the silly chrome rings around the vents are just trying too hard to make the truck look "tough". As soon as I got in I was laughing at how ridiculous it was. Anyways, the '09 is leaps and bounds beyond the previous gen and I'd say this is basically a tie since it's preference.
Power - Dodge wins by a mile. Those Ford V8's are ancient and the trucks are underpowered.
MPG - Dodge winds again. Those V8's are ancient and get crappy mileage.
Towing - Ford wins by max towing capacity, but if you're towing 6,000 lbs for example, the Dodge will out tow the Ford.
Storage - Dodge wins with the Ram Boxes and in floor storage
Comfort - Dodge blows Ford away with the suspension and imo more creature comforts.
Pricing - Dodge wins again with bigger discounts.

But that's just my analysis.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:33 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

The 97-04 F-150 had alot of electrical problems-I was a Ford tech then. They were basically good trucks, but if you had a problem with anything electric, get rid of it between issues because it wasn't going to stop. I can't imagine Ford has carried it over two generations, since. As mentioned, test drive both and not just the 5 mile circle the dealer wants you to. Take them over high-speed highways and bumpy, broken back roads. Make sure to get into stop and go traffic. That's where a vehicle will either pamper you, or make you regret it. A normal 10 minute drive is long enough to fall in love. A good mix of driving will let you get the feel of what living with it will be like. I am a Dodge guy through and through, but I also like Fords.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:37 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

For an absolute opine: get the Dodge. On paper, it's gonna be hard to beat. And for me it looks freakin sweet.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:35 AM
ramowneratlast

When I was shopping for a new truck, I stayed away from the Ford due to the fact that I borrowed my brothers F-150 last year and the seats were by far the most uncomfortable seats I have ever sat in. That to me is a huge factor. If you are not comfortable in the seat of a vehicle, it does not matter what features it has.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:47 AM
72combo
Champion

Just consider the suspension, similar to a Nascar ride! I suppose it might now need a four wheel alignment but so what, so much more travel in each wheel separately it's funny you dont realize going up a curb LOL. My 72 chevy with rear coils has a similar suspension and it drives like real nice. But the RAM is a Tough Cadillac of trucks...forget about the F150..Dodge should have the big awards.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:01 AM
raminator08
Record Breaker

Well, whichever forum you got to, they are going to promote their trucks so of course we here all say ram. I guess it really comes to want you want. I mean you know the facts and your needs. Take them both for a spin back to back and I think you will make your decision then. Good luck!

Old 04-17-2009, 11:24 AM
KeepOnTruckin
Default Rumor or Fact?

Someone posted a statement the Dodge will replace the 5-coil rear suspension with leaf next year. Can any comment on whether this is true or just a rumor? It's important because Dodge advertises the coil as helping ride quality but if they're reverting to leaf, it must mean they're unhappy with the coil for SOME reason. Hmmm....

I don't want or mean to start or spread any rumors, I just wanna know.

Thanks to all...!

Old 04-17-2009, 11:53 AM
TooFast007
Default Clear Choice

Been there, done that - test drove them all

The new Ram 1500 is the best 1/2 ton truck right now and the best price

Put that in your pipe and smoke it

Old 04-17-2009, 12:41 PM
AL68
Rookie

The one thing I like about the Ford is the Room, I'm 6'8" and I had plenty of room in the front seat, leg room is better then any other truck in the Front and its number one or two for rear seat room too. I don' treally like the new front end on the Ford, a little fugly looking to me. It seems built well, accellaration is the worst but not by that much.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:18 PM
finc.jb
Professional

Originally Posted by KeepOnTruckin
Someone posted a statement the Dodge will replace the 5-coil rear suspension with leaf next year. Can any comment on whether this is true or just a rumor? It's important because Dodge advertises the coil as helping ride quality but if they're reverting to leaf, it must mean they're unhappy with the coil for SOME reason. Hmmm....

I don't want or mean to start or spread any rumors, I just wanna know.

Thanks to all...!
Just so you know, that story came out on APRIL 1st, can't remember what online mag started it, but by the end of the day it was a confirmed prank.

Quick Reply: Um, what about the F150 XLT?