4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Drop in Pendaliner

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 06:05 PM
thinkharderchri
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Rust

I am guessing neither of you have seen the bed of a truck literally rust away to almost nothing due to scratches in the paint under a bed liner. A friend of mine had no idea his bed was almost gone until he loaded some wood in the bed and the bed liner sank down in a couple of spots. Even in our new trucks steel will still rust.

I intend to keep my baby for a long time, so I will take good care of it now.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:04 PM
adb67
Default Pendaliner complaints

So you have had the Pendaliner for some time now. Any complaints? Any issue with the fit in the truck. I have a 2012 1500 and am getting the Pendaliner Sr on Monday. Just curious to see if you have been happy with the liner, the fit etc?

Thanks,

AB
Originally Posted by thinkharderchri
Ok I was going to get the Mopar liner for my truck but after the dealer pissed me off I changed my mind. Anyway I found a truck accessory shop that is selling the Pendaliner drop in bed liner for $148 installed. Great price but they also offered to install a paint saver pad between the liner and the truck bed for an extra $30.

Now about 5 years ago I had this same setup installed in my old 97 Chevy 1500 and all the pad was some little foam sheet. Now my question is do you think this is a good option to protect the paint or do you think this will only prevent moisture from drying out under the liner? I did not keep my old truck long enough to see any of the effects the pad might have had so any input before I pick my liner up on wednesday afternoon would be appreciated.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:31 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a mopar liner, but my father has a Pendaliner in his ford. It's nice and has a few different features than mine like a 2x6 insert on the sides to drop in a divider. He has pop in covers for the hooks which I don't like(they fall off) AND his hooks are very far inset where as mine protrude through the liner. Maybe it's a difference in Ram vs F150, but my bedliner is wider there where his isn't.

As far as the foam, even closed cell foam that doesn't absorb moisture will not allow underneath to properly dry IMO. To protect against the rubbing of the liner...who cares, the liner might finally rub through the paint/clear down to the metal after a few years. Any cover that I've pulled off hasn't caused any rust while it's in place even on areas that are rubbed down to metal unless those areas had rocks or scrapes prior.
You'll never remove the liner, if you do, you'll put in a spray-in or bedrug that covers up that stuff anyways.

I have an under the rail liner btw. I would never install an over the rail liner as the rail parts will rub the paint off the side of your truck where they contact. Line-x places charge $150 to paint just the over rail part and it will never wear off. I've debated on having that done. My rails are bare paint as we speak though. Over the rail is nice and I've had to be careful with loads scrathing before, but nothing a full size towel or cardboard can't do to protect.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:16 AM
gutty96
Veteran

Originally Posted by thinkharderchri
I am guessing neither of you have seen the bed of a truck literally rust away to almost nothing due to scratches in the paint under a bed liner. A friend of mine had no idea his bed was almost gone until he loaded some wood in the bed and the bed liner sank down in a couple of spots. Even in our new trucks steel will still rust.

I intend to keep my baby for a long time, so I will take good care of it now.
I agree with that. The box rotted out of my 90 Chev Stepside under the cover, so starting with my 02 Sierra, and now with my 10 RAM. When I have its annual Krown rustproofing I get them to lift the liner and spray a good dose underneath that will last the whole year.

Never had a spot of rust form on the Sierra's box, so I doubt I will have problems with the RAM doing the same thing.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:51 AM
1500TRX
Rookie

I think pendaliner was the factory supplier, they just change the mold to have the ram head or mopar branding on it.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:28 AM
sottis
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

been there done that....save your 150.00, save up another 200.00 and get a line-x

Old 02-25-2012, 10:16 AM
adb67
Default Thanks for feedback

Originally Posted by sottis
been there done that....save your 150.00, save up another 200.00 and get a line-x
Thanks for the feedback. The Pendaliner Sr is $259 and they will throw it in. The Spray in would have cost me $500 and to be honest I dont like what they have to do to the bed nor am I confident that it will be applied correctly. Not crazy about how it looks either. Ive got two friends with drops in. One had his F150 for 13 years.....the bed had zero rust in it, some paint wear. The second has had it truck for 6 years. Showed the bed to me the other day with a drop in.....one rub mark in a corner and thats it....

Old 02-25-2012, 12:25 PM
6t4gto

On my drop-in liner,I have a roll of caulk they use for truck caps.I took a strip of it and put it under the edge at the back of the liner at the end of the box.This keeps water from rolling under the back of the liner and getting under it.Also keeps liner from shifting around and rubbing the paint off underneath........JB.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:58 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

I've been using Pendaliner liners on all my trucks and have never had any rust issues. However I do purchase the padding to be placed under the liner. I use my truck for what its made for, hauling, and the Pendaliner does an excellent job taking the abuse it s given on a regular basis and works as a great dampener between the box and cargo, I would never trust spray-on liner to protect the box. I suppose it depends what you haul in your bed though regularly.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:16 AM
thinkharderchri
Amateur

Just a 3 year update since people are still interested in this subjuct. I have had no issues with the pendaliner so far and I do think the paintsaver pad is a good investment for the money. It is holding up great and keeping the liner from rubbing on the bottom as i am driving around with the bed empty. Have not noticed any issues with it staying damp under the liner as a result either.

Quick Reply: Drop in Pendaliner