4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Towing Capability - Has anyone towed anything big yet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Bigg'Un
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually I am looking into a 40' 5th wheel with a garage. I was worried about the turning Radius on a shorter bed. Some of the 5th wheel manufacturers are relieving the corners on the front for a better turning radius for the short beds. Also a gentleman told me about these sliding hitches. This one is automatic..

http://www.pullrite.com/index.htm

There is also an option with the Pullrite so the entire hitch can be removed from the bed and leaves no brackets.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:16 AM
1954Radio
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I skipped the last couple of pages because I 'm getting tired. Just in case it's not mentioned, it would be wise to have a trailer braking system when ever you are trailering something heavier than your vehicle. And one more thing, a heavier trailer load than your truck could have severe consequences around sharp turns. You have to be careful not to let the heavier trailer weight force your rear end around and jack knife. This is mostly for people pulling close to or over their limits, especially on wet or slippery roads. I'm very good at trailering as I'm sure most of you are. But I once had no choice but to pull 7500 lbs with my 95 Chevy 1/2 ton extended cab several times trying to save the delivery money. It was 200+ a ton to deliver the gravel and just 30 dollars a ton to pick it up yourself. While towing just 50 mph, the truck wanted to go straight around the turns and was pretty scary. To make matters worse, it was a 100 mile trip there and back. I saved over a thousand dollars, but more important I learned a valuable lesson. My 09 Ram may be able to pull more, but I'll never try and do that ever again . I'll stick to my 5500 lb utility trailer weekly usage for my construction work and try not to ever go over that. Regular cab, short bed, with 392 gears and it pulls just fine at around max weight of the trailer, and with electric trailer brakes to assist.

Last edited by 1954Radio; 09-19-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:12 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm buying a used 1998 Gulfstream Aero lite 24 foot fifth wheel this week.White with blue accents.Dry weight 4100lbs.Only issue I'm worried about is truck to trailer height.Do not want trailer nose up for clearance issues etc.Getting rails and rail kit installed Monday.Fifth wheel hitch is coming with the RV.I wanted to make sure I was WAY under tow rating of the truck.I hardly ever gave a thought of a bumper pull trailer.Been looking for a fifth wheel for several months(used one) I have a dually diesel.Can't stand driving it after unhooking in resorts and what not.A quiet beach,cold Corona is calling to me!

Last edited by hounddogg; 09-19-2009 at 10:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Towing Capability - Has anyone towed anything big yet?