4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Chrysler to file Bankruptcy

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 09:37 PM
qicvick
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...rumor-floated/

this site is not buying it
sounds like a plug to sell papers, rewording something as news that is old news

Old 04-24-2009, 12:43 AM
drudometkin

Originally Posted by 94rt10ohio
You should be fine. It is the trucks after the UAW accepts deep cuts that I would be worried about how it is put together.
So you feel that the trucks made before consessions will be better quality? Why would a worker that doesn't even know if he will have a job next month put together a better truck than someone that has taken a pay cut, but at least knows he has a job?

Old 04-24-2009, 11:36 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drudometkin
So you feel that the trucks made before consessions will be better quality? Why would a worker that doesn't even know if he will have a job next month put together a better truck than someone that has taken a pay cut, but at least knows he has a job?
What I am saying is if a worker takes a 40% cut in pay/benefits some will have the attitude I am going to do 40% less. Hense the quality could suffer after cuts over what it is today.

Back on topic... Need bankruptcy info.... If a company does go into bankruptcy I understand the protection they get from their creditors, however.... If the UAW is unwilling to deal does bankruptcy allow the company to tell the workers under contract to get out and hire new labor?

Old 04-24-2009, 12:06 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

It seems that Chrysler is doing it's best to honor the prior commitments like pensions
and health insurance for retirees, but I think that bankruptcy would allow them to do whatever they want going forward, but restructuring going forward is doomed to fail as long as the UAW is involved unless they make major consessions. The whole thing; the union contracts, thier pension structure, etc. has made for one **** poor business model.
If they were wise, they would model it after toyota.

Unfortunately, you are dead on with the 40% thing. I was in a union back in the 80's that had to make consessions in order to get work, and this was the attitude with most.
What we need is a panel of shrinks to figure out where this sense of entitlement started in this country, and how to get rid of it.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:16 PM
spoon
Professional

Spot on, the sense of entitlement is the problem!
Chapter 11 is the right thing to do, restructure, re-hire, get rid of a line of car models, possible sell some models, and keep the more sensible cars and trucks. I think that the RAM line will continue, whether it be under the umbrella of Chrysler or some smart cookie that snaps it up for a pittance

Old 04-24-2009, 12:17 PM
John Valdes
Veteran

Just a thought.
Chrysler goes under. Completely. Maybe all the Rams would be worth more money than they are now? High demand, no trucks available. Since I bought mine, I have noticed so many Ram trucks on the road. I never noticed until I bought one myself. Theres no doubt that the Dodge Ram is Chrysler's bread and butter. And very popular as I see them.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:29 PM
CarGuyOhio

If Chrysler is liquidated the Ram name and Hemi name will likely show up on another automakers line.

Even if that does not happen I do not see the price of Rams going up.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:31 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

When Dodge cut thier line of work vans, the price of used ones went up a little, but it'll be 50 years before a Ram is worth what they're going for now. Maybe if you got the last one to roll off the line.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Brummo
Captain

Northwest went bankrupt years ago, they are still flying. Don't you think this will jsut be a rest for Chrysler?

Old 04-24-2009, 02:28 PM
CarGuyOhio

Who says the people running this country will allow it.

It is possible it will not be allowed and they will be liquidated. That has been the talk all along... No deal with Fiat means it will be sold off.

The next two weeks should be interesting, and in the thick of it all I will be picking up my truck and I do not care, I am getting my truck!

Quick Reply: Chrysler to file Bankruptcy