4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Problems with HomeLink opener

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:44 AM
jram99
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think the hard wired wall switch counts. I erased the memory and then operated the door with the wall switch before programming any of the remotes back. I then programmed one remote, and the wireless keypad. Still could not get the homelink to work but think I am narrowing it down. Got frustrated and thought I'd better go ahead and get my wifes Honda homelink reprogrammed and now hers doesn't work either. Went back to the homelink site and re-read through their online instructions and the only thing I can think of is the battery in the remote. The site states that just because the remote works with opener doesn't mean the battery in the remote is strong enough to program the homelink. My sons remote had a dead battery and we replaced it but we used a battery that has been sitting in the garage for almost a year. I'm going to get a brand new duracel for his remote and try again. Just can't think of any other reason that the Honda would not work now with only 2 remotes in memory. I may try using the wireless keypad to program the homelink today since I'm working from home (it has new 9volt battery) and see if that works, if not will get the new A23 battery tonight and try again. I know the fix is going to be something easy and stupid, but it's still frustrating trying to find the problem! Jeff.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:52 AM
wmichell227
Veteran

Originally Posted by jram99
I don't think the hard wired wall switch counts. I erased the memory and then operated the door with the wall switch before programming any of the remotes back. I then programmed one remote, and the wireless keypad. Still could not get the homelink to work but think I am narrowing it down. Got frustrated and thought I'd better go ahead and get my wifes Honda homelink reprogrammed and now hers doesn't work either. Went back to the homelink site and re-read through their online instructions and the only thing I can think of is the battery in the remote. The site states that just because the remote works with opener doesn't mean the battery in the remote is strong enough to program the homelink. My sons remote had a dead battery and we replaced it but we used a battery that has been sitting in the garage for almost a year. I'm going to get a brand new duracel for his remote and try again. Just can't think of any other reason that the Honda would not work now with only 2 remotes in memory. I may try using the wireless keypad to program the homelink today since I'm working from home (it has new 9volt battery) and see if that works, if not will get the new A23 battery tonight and try again. I know the fix is going to be something easy and stupid, but it's still frustrating trying to find the problem! Jeff.
Jeff,

It's been a few months since I have programmed mine but, don't you have to push the learn button on the opener first until the light begins to blink then quick run to the truck and push the homelink button. The EVIC will say its either learning or transmitting???

Old 04-27-2009, 10:14 AM
jram99
Veteran

wmichell227, yes you have to hit the learn button on the opener first which I was doing but the when I hit the button on the homelink the learn light on the opener would just start flashing real quick, it's supposed to stay lighted on the first push, then go out on the 2nd. Good news is that I got it to work a few minutes ago. I took the wireless key pad off the wall and used it to program the homelink button. The wireless key pad has a new 9v battery. Programming worked the 1st time. I knew it would be something stupid and simple. The battery in the remote I was using works to open and close the overhead door, but did not have enough juice to program the homelink. Anyway, thanks for all the help and I hope anyone else having problems sees this. Put a new battery in the remote before you even start, it might just save you a few days of screwing around! Jeff.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:31 AM
72combo
Champion

Mine is a Genie I found I had to use the original opener which of course was broken so I had to rig it so it worked you also have to be parked in front of the door facing it and have fresh batteries in the remote. In my 03 Durango I could not get anything but the 2nd button to program but this one the first one does, and the other two do some other stuff that I cannot mention at this time. It is an experiment that I might patent.

Quick Reply: Problems with HomeLink opener