4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Problems with HomeLink opener

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 05:26 PM
jram99
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with HomeLink opener

Well, finally got the new ram box optioned truck in this last Monday and have pretty much set everything back up the way I wanted it, but am having a problem programing my homelink garage door opener. The 09 I got back in Nov was programmed in less than 5 min, but this truck just does not seem to be able to catch the rolling codes from the Geni overhead door opener. Any of ya'll have problems with yours at first then figure out something that was missing? I have tried the directions from the owners manual, called the 800 # and followed their directions, and went to the homelink website and followed those directions with no luck. I can clear the codes OK, the button will learn from the remote, but will not learn from the opener itself. I have tried to program all 3 buttons just to make sure it wasn't a bad button. Any advise will be appreciated. Jeff.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Thatmarkguy
Veteran

I had that issue too. The problem was I had too many codes in the opener. I had to clear all the codes in the opener. I had codes from cars that I no longer own. After doing that everything seemed to work fine.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:51 AM
wmichell227
Veteran

Mark's right. The Genie only allows you to have x number of openers programmed. You might be at that limit.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:52 AM
jram99
Veteran

Are we talking about codes in the Geni opener or in the homelink? I have followed the instructions to clear the homelink every time I've tried to program the button. The dealer suggested that I find another automatic door opener with rolling codes and try to program it. If it works then my genie is screwed, if it doesn't then I will have to take it in and let them check it/replace it. Sucks! The one thing that even more convenient than the ram box and it doesn't work Thanks guys. Jeff.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:11 AM
wmichell227
Veteran

Originally Posted by jram99
Are we talking about codes in the Geni opener or in the homelink? I have followed the instructions to clear the homelink every time I've tried to program the button. The dealer suggested that I find another automatic door opener with rolling codes and try to program it. If it works then my genie is screwed, if it doesn't then I will have to take it in and let them check it/replace it. Sucks! The one thing that even more convenient than the ram box and it doesn't work Thanks guys. Jeff.
In the Genie. I'd venture to bet thats where your problem is. BUT before you replace your Genie, reset all the programmed devices in your opener then try your homelink.

I have a Genie, I seem to remember, when I was putting it in, that it would only allow 5 door openers to be programmed. You might be at 5, including the truck you just got rid of.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:16 AM
wmichell227
Veteran
Default Directions

Just found this, hope it helps.

4. How do I program my Intellicode or Security Plus Transmitter?

The code changes every single time you press the button. It is a rolling code transmitter and there are 4.5 billion combinations, so it is never on the same frequency twice! If you've lost a transmitter you can delete out all of the transmitters programmed into you garage door opener by holding
down on the learn button, or smart button until the light stops blinking. The learn, or smart button is behind the light lens or on the back of the motor head and is close to the floppy antenna wire. Some models require you to unscrew 2 bolts on the light lens to be able to remove the lens and access the learn button. The smart button for Chamberlain openers is usually on the terminal board.

To reprogram each transmitter, push the learn button momentarily and the red or amber light will start blinking. It will blink for up to 30 seconds. In that time press one of your transmitters 3 or 4 times until the garage door starts moving. Keep the transmitter at least 2 feet away from the antenna.
Perform the same process with each transmitter.

If you are in need of an Intellicode transmitter (GIT-1), you can find them on our Web site in the Genie section. If you need a Chamberlain (Liftmaster/Sears) Security Plus transmitter, go to the garage door transmitter section of our Chamberlain store. Stanley and Linear have similar, rolling code transmitters. To access our transmitters go to Transmitters and Receivers and click onto the appropriate manufacturer.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:52 AM
stingray220
Default Homelink

I have the same problem wiped out all the old remotes and tried all 3 buttons still won't work. I also have a Genie door opener
Had a Tahoe before set in in less than 30secs

Old 04-26-2009, 04:25 PM
jram99
Veteran

Yep, I've been looking through the genie operating instructions. There is a limit of 7 remotes including any keyless pads. My new truck would be the 7, but I'm thinking there must be one that I can't remember so I'm going to erase all the codes and start over from scratch. Hopefully this will remedy the sitiuation. Thanks wmichell227 your post finally got me to go pull the instructions out of the cobweb covered dust encrusted box all this type of stuff is kept in. I wouldn't even have thought of that. Guess my son who just got married won't have access to the garage anymore until he comes to visit. Jeff.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:34 PM
wmichell227
Veteran

Originally Posted by jram99
Yep, I've been looking through the genie operating instructions. There is a limit of 7 remotes including any keyless pads. My new truck would be the 7, but I'm thinking there must be one that I can't remember so I'm going to erase all the codes and start over from scratch. Hopefully this will remedy the sitiuation. Thanks wmichell227 your post finally got me to go pull the instructions out of the cobweb covered dust encrusted box all this type of stuff is kept in. I wouldn't even have thought of that. Guess my son who just got married won't have access to the garage anymore until he comes to visit. Jeff.
I hope it works for you....

Old 04-26-2009, 04:57 PM
Thatmarkguy
Veteran
Lightbulb

Remember your hard-wired wall switch counts as one also.

Quick Reply: Problems with HomeLink opener