4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Should you Overpay to get the last RAM

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 07:03 AM
Hdcowboy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by utour
Now here is the twist. The dealer may think this. "I"m not gonna sell for wholesale price, I only have 3 of those trucks, there is NOTHING going to come on MY lot for the next 2-3 or more months, SOMEBODY is going to by it retail and I'm going to make some money.I mean, people need trucks and they are not being made anymore...
There still building trucks, just not Dodges. And the reason GM is going to shut down there lines temporarily is because of excess inventory. I never heard anything about Ford not building. Believe me they are plenty of trucks out there just go look at the dealers lots.

Originally Posted by utour
Why I'm saying they may think this way? I Don't know but if that dealer was desperate why they did not agree to give that truck to my dealer when he called and wanted to buy it out wholesale?
Because he thinks he has you by the cajones! He sounds like a stealer not a dealer to me, hold your ground. If he aint desperate now, give him a couple weeks! Try going over to the other dealer yourself and see what kind of deal he's willing to make if he dont know who you are.

Last edited by Hdcowboy; 05-04-2009 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:22 AM
utour
Rookie

Originally Posted by 72combo
Call Chrysler customer service tell them the deal and that the other dealer won't release the truck......he doesn't own it, Chrysler does, I got one that way before. In Canada anyway. Especially now a possible unload of a vehicle and a dealer is gonna hold out for top dollar. He is one of those dealers with piles of them I bet.....I got mine out in the country, better service better deals. Sorry but like you know the old saying date a fat chick she will give it too you like it's her last(I hate to use this comparison, it's ignorant but) boyfriend. Not only that for what ever reason when you shop for pickups they have more.
Well well well, this is interesting. I'm in Canada and would try to do that for sure. So, I assume IF I can call customer service and complain about dealer not releasing the truck, my dealer could do the SAME?
If so why didn't he do that yet???

Old 05-04-2009, 06:41 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am going to retract the post I made in reply 2.

After talking to my dealer who was actually on the phone with the St. Louis plant there are not guarantees for anything, not shocking considering that state of everything.

It is possible they will re-start the lines, complete where is there and move on to other 09 orders or start building 10s

They may destroy all trucks that are currently on the line (mine included) and start with 10s.

There is that outside chance no more Rams will be built, although that is very unlikely.

So to answer your question, no I would not over pay, but I would try to find one. I am back to trying to get one, but I am not paying more than I agreed upon for my order, which is basically 10K off a 37K truck.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:14 PM
bigred3297
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man and i know you were pumped about your new rcsb RTohio, maybe the 09's will turn out to be a limited run in the long run.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:06 PM
Shumdit
Professional

You know I have been on the same fence as some of you about this, concerning the state of "are they desperate enough to give them away with all the bad news" or will they want more for the ones they have knowing they may be 30-90 days from seeing more trucks to replenish inventory. Here is the reality of what I have seen over the last 2-3 months. A few months ago when I started seriously looking, the deals were good and stock seemed to be everywhere, except on certain options (Rambox and the Parkview camera in particular, which I wanted and were apparently late releases). In the last 2 weeks, knowing "EMPLOYEE PRICING PLUS" was going away (possibly only to be replaced with the same discounts under a different name!), I started looking harder, and I spent hours over the last week checking every dealer in either a major makret or within a 12-15 hour (1 way) drive from where I am. I located about 14 trucks that at least covered my minimal requirements. Of those 14, 9 were sold either by the time I called about them (I checked on a Saturday and called today) or while I was negotiating to get pricing I got a call saying someone else had just purchased it. Maybe I am picking particularly popular color/trim/option combos, but my feeling is that these trucks are moving quicker as of late. I do not see dealers having to give them away much longer since Chrysler's shutdown will bascially give them a great chance to pare down excess inventory and an excuse for not letting them all go at next to zero profit. All of the dealers I was able to get pricing on (a couple of the ones that later sold before I could even get back after getting quotes and the 5 that are still for sale (or at least were last time I called), they all were giving about $9-11K off. I did see nearly $13K on a $53K Laramie (it was one that sold before I could even give it some consideration), but it's easier to see a larger discount on such a loaded truck. I could be wrong, but I think there are some guys who will be moaning about the truck they are looking for not being available within the next couple of weeks.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Hdcowboy
Professional

Originally Posted by Shumdit
I started looking harder, and I spent hours over the last week checking every dealer in either a major makret or within a 12-15 hour (1 way) drive from where I am. I located about 14 trucks that at least covered my minimal requirements. Of those 14, 9 were sold either by the time I called about them (I checked on a Saturday and called today) or while I was negotiating to get pricing I got a call saying someone else had just purchased it. Maybe I am picking particularly popular color/trim/option combos, but my feeling is that these trucks are moving quicker as of late.
Sounds to me like your just searching the Sunday paper or Internet for deals the dealers have listed. If so of course if you call them the truck is allreday going to be sold, that game has been around for so long its unimagineable. Have you actually gone into the dealers lot and tried to get him to make you a simular deal on a simular equiped truck???

Old 05-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Shumdit
Professional

Originally Posted by Hdcowboy
Sounds to me like your just searching the Sunday paper or Internet for deals the dealers have listed. If so of course if you call them the truck is allreday going to be sold, that game has been around for so long its unimagineable. Have you actually gone into the dealers lot and tried to get him to make you a simular deal on a simular equiped truck???
No, I do not read the paper (who does these days?!). The internet is a good source since it's updated daily by Chrysler themselves. Sometimes trucks that have not even arrived are on the site. I was not looking for deals, only trucks spec'ed out close to what I wanted. I have been to the local dealer, but he only had 1 truck I liked. It was 7:30 on Sat. evening, and he gave me a price, but when I called back at 11:00 Monday it was sold. End of story.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:14 PM
budlyte
Rookie

Check out this link. It says once Chrysler gets back on its feet they will complete the 2009 vehicles that were left partially built when the plants closed:

http://www.egmcartech.com/2009/05/04...odel-launches/

Old 05-05-2009, 01:24 PM
DavidNM
Rookie

Hi - new to this board but am on other Dodge boards.

I can't believe that the dealer is messing with you on selling a unit. Sales are down 50% over last year and their company just declared bankruptcy.

Geez!

I went to our local dealer (small town of about 12K) 2 weeks ago with a printout from the Dodge site of what I wanted (the build it yourself thing). Handed them the printout and asked them to go find one. Told them that if there were any additional features they were paying for them. (2009 Laramie Crew with everything except RamBox and Camera).

They called a day later and found one - had to do a dealer swap. Took a couple of days to get the truck to town as it was the display in an auto show in another city. The truck was exactly what I wanted. I did my research - what people had been paying for this truck, Consumer Reports guide, Edmunds buying price sheet, etc. The dealer came back 2K under where the guides said I should start negotiating - 9K under sticker.

Try that tactic - go to a couple of dealers and tell them that whoever is first wins.

Now - I know that with the RamBox and Camera this might be more difficult - but Edmunds just came out with a new video report that said the 2009 Ram was the #1 truck out there. Toyota was 2nd, Silverado was 3rd and the F150 was 4th (ouch). I cannot believe that they won't resume production on this model.

Good Luck!

Old 05-05-2009, 10:22 PM
utour
Rookie

Well here is the end to my story. Went to local dealer today who had the exact truck I ordered and mine got stopped along the way. Made a deal with this dealer as good as with my original dealer. So, I'm picking my new truck end of this week. Sweet, I'm pretty happy. Got 100% what I wanted from the truck.

I'll post the pictures once I bring her home.

Quick Reply: Should you Overpay to get the last RAM