4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:40 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Dam washed my keys! FOB dont work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 10:05 AM
Tankit
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dam washed my keys! FOB dont work.

Now the darn FOB wont work lol, you would think they would design it to handle a wash or two.

Anyone know who to take it appart??

I did leave it out back for two days in over 100 temp in the shade and sill no go.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:44 AM
mopowar
Record Breaker

I am not going to try this because the thing is so expensive. It looks like if you slide the valet key out that there are two clips in there. I would bet that if you pop those clips, and slide the two halves in opposite directions that it will come apart. It doesn't use enough power to fry anything, so try cleaning the board with soap and water, rinsing it thoroughly, and allow it to dry overnight. If any film is on the board present from salt, phosphates, etc. it will screw things up.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:52 AM
John Valdes
Veteran

DO NOT take apart or add any more water to the FOB.

Place FOB in a bag of uncooked white rice. Leave in vented bag overnight or 24 hours. Test.
This is a trick used for wet cell phones and it does work. Good luck.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:11 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by John Valdes
DO NOT take apart or add any more water to the FOB.

Place FOB in a bag of uncooked white rice. Leave in vented bag overnight or 24 hours. Test.
This is a trick used for wet cell phones and it does work. Good luck.
This works well for plain water while the electronic device is still wet. After two days in 100 degree sun, the moisture is gone (assuming it did not rain). It is more than likely the dried soap residue left behind that is causing the problem. When DVR's get soda/sugar energy drink spilled on them, we remove the boards and put them in the dishwasher, wash them sans the heat cycle, let them dry, snap them back in, and everything works fine.

The only reason it might not work is if a button was pressed while it was still wet and the programming or frequency setting got whacked.

Edit: The dishwasher trick also works well for keyboards, mice, remote controls, etc. that have had soda/beer spilled on them but, aside from not using the heat cycle, I forgot to mention do not use detergent either. Dish soap is fine, dishwasher detergent is not

Last edited by mopowar; 05-12-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:56 PM
rezonator
Professional

pull your key out of the fob and use the key to separate the two halfes

there is a little space that your key fits right into, than just turn the key to open it up

did this once already

Old 05-12-2009, 01:04 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by rezonator
pull your key out of the fob and use the key to separate the two halfes

there is a little space that your key fits right into, than just turn the key to open it up

did this once already
So I guess that's how you change the battery. You ought to post this in the do it yourself section.

To the OP- Once you get in there take the rubber piece off of the green circuit board. Thats the piece you want to clean and let dry. It is all sealed and frequency is set through a chip. Once it is clean you should be good to go. I would replace the battery for good measure.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:21 PM
BubbaRadioNetwork
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would clean it up so there is no soap residue or evidence of being washed and take it to the dealer. Tell them it quit working. A good dealer will get it replaced under warranty.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:34 PM
jram99
Veteran

This happened to me also. As soon as I pulled the key out of the washing machine it wouldn't work. Hung it on the key rack and a few days later it was working again. Jeff.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:21 PM
jhedger
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fob's aren't covered in the warranty, but may be worth a try if is doen't start working after doing the above suggestions.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:09 PM
BubbaRadioNetwork
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The dealer can turn it in under an unsold unit under warranty as never having worked. Probably not legal, but it happens all the time.

Quick Reply: Dam washed my keys! FOB dont work.