4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Side window air deflectors

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009 | 07:42 AM
buckarcher
|
Veteran

SOB!!! Well I put them on last night, but screwed them up. Stupid mopar instructions never said one word just some DA pictures that told you to eye it up. Everyone is right about one thing---they aren't coming off. Really just some minor alignment problems that no-one will ever notice, but it bothers me to see imperfections on a 40k truck. I wish I had someone-elses truck to practice on, I think I got the hang of it after one. I will say, don't eye them up, measure and use a dry erase marker to mark your spots, work end to end. I messed up because I was paying attention to the high end and the low end accidently touched the truck, well against my best efforts thats where it stayed. I'll take some pictures at lunch and try to figure out how to load them on the web site.

Old 05-20-2009 | 09:45 AM
Hop
Professional

The trick to installing these is to leave the backing on the tape. Only remove enough for the ends to stick 1/8-1/4" or so. Once it's lined up stick the ends good and pull the backing at 45* and stick the rest.
My inchannel ones only rattled when the front windows were down.
--Hop

Old 05-20-2009 | 10:24 AM
Scottyluck
Professional

A trick I use with the in-channel ones is to close the window after the install. I then insert pennies between the glass and the deflector every few inches. This puts more holding pressure on the tape. Seems to have worked for me. Like I said no rattles with windows up or down.

Old 05-20-2009 | 12:21 PM
Inbred
Professional

They are also very benneficial for anytime you need to open your window at all in the rain (bank/atm, drive through, etc.). Without them, big water drips roll off the roof and will drop right down into your power window/lock/mirror switches. That's the most common cause of those things going bad. Some just like looks, but they are very functional for those people who like to keep their windows cracked for whatever reason. Every truck I've ever owned has had them, will be getting a set for this truck shortly. They do tend to make more noise if the windows are shut because of the vacuum they pull behind them. But my windows are almost always at least cracked anyways, so I need the function.

Old 05-20-2009 | 12:27 PM
jdonovan

First time posting pics..3 views of the outside window deflectors..Joe

Attached Thumbnails Side window air deflectors-001.jpg   Side window air deflectors-002.jpg   Side window air deflectors-003.jpg  
Old 05-20-2009 | 02:18 PM
buckarcher
|
Veteran

OK, here are my pictures. this is where my big foul up was, you can tell that the visor doesn't sit against the miror. I was paying attention to the top and the damb thing stuck down there when I looked back down. Tried to pull it off slightly, but that wasn't happening.

Old 05-20-2009 | 02:26 PM
buckarcher
|
Veteran

Can't really tell unless you're looking for it, glad I have them. don't smoke, but I can't function without the windows cracked. When it rains, I crack the windows while driving so I don't have to use the defrosters. I also crack the windows when I park it too.

Old 05-20-2009 | 04:09 PM
Brummo
Captain

Originally Posted by Inbred
They are also very benneficial for anytime you need to open your window at all in the rain (bank/atm, drive through, etc.). Without them, big water drips roll off the roof and will drop right down into your power window/lock/mirror switches. That's the most common cause of those things going bad. Some just like looks, but they are very functional for those people who like to keep their windows cracked for whatever reason. Every truck I've ever owned has had them, will be getting a set for this truck shortly. They do tend to make more noise if the windows are shut because of the vacuum they pull behind them. But my windows are almost always at least cracked anyways, so I need the function.
I'll take that boat off your hands. That is a sharp setup you have there.

Old 05-25-2009 | 07:14 PM
BubbaRadioNetwork
Veteran

I put mine on this weekend.
Name:  DSC00976.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  68.2 KBName:  DSC00972.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  70.1 KBName:  DSC00971.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  58.8 KB

Old 05-25-2009 | 08:02 PM
Brummo
Captain

Those of you that put them on, how are they with the noise. Wind noise that is. Honestly, did it get louder in the cab with the windows up? In my Dak it got louder, but that truck isn't as quiet as these Rams are.

Quick Reply: Side window air deflectors