4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Check your antenna...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 11:07 PM
Inbred
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check your antenna...

So, I was washing the truck, and leaned over to get the hood. When I did, heard something rattle. My radio antenna was loose in the threads. Thankfully I noticed it well before it came off. May want to give yours a little twist to make sure it's not loose.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:07 AM
seigell
Veteran

For all of us with MyGig's or with Sirius/XM built-ins, the AM/FM antenna's days are numbered !! I'm considering finding a "stub" to replace my "silver wiggler" (too thin construction and/or too much turbulence with new 09 Ram headlight/hood configuration), and relegating that relic to a shelf in the garage. At least until the 1-year free Sirius subscription is up.
Then, assuming Sirius/XM hasn't also gone through their rumored bankruptcy, I'll see whether whatever renewal fee they charge is worth it. Otherwise, I'm about able to live by MyGig alone!!

But, thanks for the reminder / warning !!

Old 05-21-2009, 09:37 AM
looperk2

I put a 14" black "Shorty" Antenna on my truck. I like it - better looking and not as distracting as the "silver wiggler". They also make an 8" design. Btw: AM/FM reception stayed the same.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:02 PM
buckarcher
Veteran

I'm replacing mine, I would think with the trx4 they would give you a flexable antenna, to nervious to go under low branches now but that will change. "silver wiggler"? is that what it's called. I did notice that it wiggles more than anyone I've ever seen. Me and my buddies were laughing about it the other day.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:29 PM
HemiRAMV8
Professional

Interesting. A year or so ago we took my wife's Aspen to the car wash for the first time. The antenna (same part) was so firmly attached we had to back out of the car wash and go buy a mini wrench to get the barsteward off!

Old 05-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Brummo
Captain

Originally Posted by Inbred
So, I was washing the truck, and leaned over to get the hood. When I did, heard something rattle. My radio antenna was loose in the threads. Thankfully I noticed it well before it came off. May want to give yours a little twist to make sure it's not loose.
Mine was the same, loose. The salesman hand tightened, but thought he would get it tighter after it went through pre delivery.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:17 PM
j0e
Professional

it is pretty "wiggly". i went through a car wash and the thing bent so far that it scratched the mirror! i havent listened to the radio yet, so i may just wanna take it off. ill probably replace it with something.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:36 PM
BubbaRadioNetwork
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone actually listen to AM/FM anymore? It's been years since I have.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:19 PM
briguyit
Amateur

I noticed mine was very loose the day I brought it home from the dealer. The guy in the service dept must have been in a hurry and just gave it a quick turn or two. I'll probably remove it for good one of these days and fill the hole with a small rubber plug if I can find one.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:46 PM
navyr6
Professional

mine was loose the day i got it home too. tightened it with a wrench. my problem with it now is that it is corroding (way to go, florida humidity and salty beach air). had the same problem with my last dodge, had it replaced under warranty and painted the next one. i think the new trucks would look better without any antenna on the fender- found one that mounts under the dash by the windshield horizontally, might look into that.

Quick Reply: Check your antenna...