4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Getting out of Dodge!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 07:39 PM
BubbaRadioNetwork
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One reason Canada is down is lack of parts. Transmissions are built in Indiana and we are down. No word yet on when we will return to work.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:21 AM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Bill
Some of you guys that think decreasing the number of dealers will help the OEM bottom line still think that way? Dodge trucks will lose thousands of sales due to too few dealers too far away. It would have cost Dodge nothing to leave those dealers alone. Obama and his clan have a plan and they are running the show now from a position of total ignorance. Not going along cost Wagner his job. I hope to hear from him in a great interview soon about the Govt thugs. Don't forget, all of the GM shareholders will have worthless stock on Monday or Tuesday next week. They will issue new stock to the people they want to take care of.
Closing dealerships helps the manufacturers. I know some of y'all may not like the government or the current administration (I don't), but it's a fact. They're not doing it just for fun or b/c they thought to themselves "Hey, let's screw over some of the little guys." There are valid business reasons.

From Bloomberg:

"Having fewer retailers may allow the survivors to sell more cars at higher prices, boosting profit.

“It’s a cruel day, but it’s one of the casualties of the situation,” said Mike Robinet, a CSM Worldwide Inc. analyst in Northville, Michigan. “Dealer consolidation is a fairly substantial reason that Chrysler had to go into bankruptcy and a very good reason why GM will need to go in as well.”"

and from the GM Letter (the reasoning was basically the same for Chrysler):

"GM told dealers in a letter the locations targeted for closing were measured by benchmarks including sales volume, customer feedback, capitalization, profitability and pairings with competing brands.

The notices went to “1,100 underperforming and very small sales-volume U.S. dealers,” GM said in a statement.

“It’s not something we do without a lot of consideration,” Mark LaNeve, GM’s North American sales chief, said on a conference call. “The dealers receiving these letters, unless they haven’t been paying attention at all, it should be no surprise at all to them.”

LaNeve said GM would follow the same reduction plan whether the automaker restructures in or out of court. An “orderly” wind-down would help preserve the value of dealers’ inventory, he said."

Old 05-30-2009, 06:02 PM
Dr. Bill
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Your quote from Bloomberg makes my point. Fewer dealers helps only the surviving dealerships. I am not sure why some of you continue to argue this point. I had lunch yesterday with the owner of the second largest volumn Ford dealer in the nation. He has the same opinion that I have. I am simply trying to show people that closing dealerships has nothing to do with the manufacturer's bottom line. You are certainly entitled to your own opinion.

Quick Reply: Getting out of Dodge!