4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Problem with the EVIC LCD Display

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 04:36 PM
topgun
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey navyr6, what did you find out about the leveling? My left side sits lower than the right. Probably by about 1/2 to 3/4". Didn't start out that way but happened after a few hundred miles.

The other question is on your EVIC, do you now have the option to turn the fuel saver light off and on as well in the setup menu? It is near the bottom of the list of options I believe.

Last edited by topgun; 07-13-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:57 PM
savage_46
Professional

Originally Posted by navyr6
UPDATE:

So I got my new EVIC installed two weeks ago and went on vacation with the truck. If anyone is wanting the "Fuel Saver" light and does not have it, get your EVIC replaced and you will have it. Surprised the hell out of me the first time I saw it come on, though to be honest I haven't seen it on very much. Mostly when coasting and <45mph. Just thought I'd get the word out.
i was wondering about that. mine doesnt have it, but i would like it. i checked for a cluster update--none yet. seeing how the light was added a few months into production, i had a feeling they changed the cluster somehow. now im gonna pay extra attention to mine, look for anything that isnt right.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:45 PM
Brummo
Captain

Originally Posted by topgun
Hey navyr6, what did you find out about the leveling? My left side sits lower than the right. Probably by about 1/2 to 3/4". Didn't start out that way but happened after a few hundred miles.

The other question is on your EVIC, do you now have the option to turn the fuel saver light off and on as well in the setup menu? It is near the bottom of the list of options I believe.
Mine sits like yours too. I always believed it was because the 32 gallon tank is on that side. I don't know that for sure. I'm pretty sure my Dakota hung low on the drivers side too.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:39 PM
topgun
Captain

Thought about the tank. I've got the 34 gallon tank also. Checked tonight to verify and it was 1/2" low tank side.

There was a thread on DT about the springs. Some guys have different ones left and right, some the same. Supposably there are 12 different ones in the parts catalog for the various trucks.

Ive got a 4X4 Hemi Quad Cab, 34 gal tank, and tow package.

Rear Coil Springs
Left: P68042804AB
Right: P68042803AB

Old 07-14-2009, 09:15 PM
navyr6
Professional

haven't heard anything yet about the truck sitting off-level, but i'll ask next time i'm in the dealership. as for turning the fuel saver light on/off, i'll check next time i'm in the truck and let you know.

also, i had to have a piece of trim reinstalled when i got my oil changed yesterday. it had worked loose on around the back window on the passenger side on the inside. not real sure of the cause, but it's fixed none the less.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:37 PM
mike2810
Captain

Originally Posted by navyr6
UPDATE:

So I got my new EVIC installed two weeks ago and went on vacation with the truck. If anyone is wanting the "Fuel Saver" light and does not have it, get your EVIC replaced and you will have it. Surprised the hell out of me the first time I saw it come on, though to be honest I haven't seen it on very much. Mostly when coasting and <45mph. Just thought I'd get the word out.
While yours was replace under warranty, did the service rep or does your paper work indicate the cost in replacing the evic? Think those of us who do not have the light would be interested in knowing. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:58 PM
topgun
Captain

Looks like that part lists for $229 (saw it for $153). That would be for the entire Speedo, Tach, EVIC cluster minus the front trim which has the lens. The entire unit has to be replaced as an assembly per the service manual which confirms what he was told by the dealer. Should be plug and play with no dealer service tool needed per the manual.

It's actually very easy to remove. I'd first disconnect the battery so the airbag can't fire, then take the clamshell off the column, then a couple of screws, unplug the connectors and it's out. Had mine out to clean the lens due to the inside being fogged.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:31 AM
AZRAM1500

Looks like that part lists for $229 (saw it for $153). That would be for the entire Speedo, Tach, EVIC cluster minus the front trim which has the lens. The entire unit has to be replaced as an assembly per the service manual which confirms what he was told by the dealer. Should be plug and play with no dealer service tool needed per the manual.

It's actually very easy to remove. I'd first disconnect the battery so the airbag can't fire, then take the clamshell off the column, then a couple of screws, unplug the connectors and it's out. Had mine out to clean the lens due to the inside being fogged.
Can you please post the part number?

Old 07-26-2009, 10:54 AM
topgun
Captain

I looked it up on a Dodge Parts website but they didn't give the number. Look under Electrical, then Chassis Electrical, then Instruments and Gauges, then Instrument Cluster.

Mechanical Catalog - 2009 - Dodge - Ram 1500
Electrical, Chassis electrical, Instruments and gauges, Instrument cluster, Instrument cluster, ram 1500 MSRP $229.00 Your Price $153.43

Old 07-27-2009, 09:10 AM
dhopkins
Amateur

Hello everyone I just have a question. I was told that the new vehicle instrument clusters actually contain a computer which has to be coded with your VIN before you install. Now this was in an 08 ram 1500 but I would assume that if that is true of the 08 I would think that it would also be true of the 09. Or the dealler could have just been blowing smoke.

Quick Reply: Problem with the EVIC LCD Display