4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transferring music to the HDD

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 10:59 PM
cheatdt
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what to think since it says that it doesn't recognize any files. Tonight we went to our local best buy and purchased software that will convert the wma files to mp3. We will give that a go and see what happens.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:57 AM
TedEbear
Rookie

There are free format conversion programs online if you do a Google search. No need to purchase it. I always d/l things like that from a reputable source like PC Magazine or other names I know and run a scan on them before using.

Also, the folders on your thumb drive must be in the root directory for the MyGIG to recognize them. You can have as many folders as you want but they cannot be sub folders of other folders. I use a SanDisk Cruiser but I deleted the utility off it that came preloaded when I first used it.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:14 AM
cheatdt
Rookie

Originally Posted by TedEbear
There are free format conversion programs online if you do a Google search. No need to purchase it. I always d/l things like that from a reputable source like PC Magazine or other names I know and run a scan on them before using.

Also, the folders on your thumb drive must be in the root directory for the MyGIG to recognize them. You can have as many folders as you want but they cannot be sub folders of other folders. I use a SanDisk Cruiser but I deleted the utility off it that came preloaded when I first used it.

That might be the problem right there. We have the same flash drive, SanDisk Cruiser. I haven't done anything with what came with it. When I 'plug' it in the laptop, it has the autorun for files (love that) I can go to 'my computer' and it shows an E: drive and an F: drive. F; drive is where the music is stored. The only folders are the different ones for each different group/artist. So, what utility do I need to delete??? Where do I find it and do I just right click on it and choose delete??? Not very techie anymore

Old 05-25-2009, 02:22 PM
TedEbear
Rookie

Originally Posted by cheatdt
So, what utility do I need to delete??? Where do I find it and do I just right click on it and choose delete??? Not very techie anymore
I just used Windows to delete the extra stuff I didn't want on it. I don't remember if I just used My Computer to navigate to the two drives and deleted everything off the one or reformatted it but mine just shows one drive now. That was about a year ago.

Here's a link on how to remove that unwanted utility off it: SanDisk Cruzer U3 Removal

Old 05-26-2009, 10:46 AM
jawsdc
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seigell
Some of the Dodge Forum folks from the Avenger forum - especially "futil" - have setup a Great website with almost everything known about the MyGig.
Unofficial MyGig Information Site
(It's really helped me understand what the MyGig can and can't do...)
thanks seigell,
they also have the gracenotes updates on that website. great find!

Old 06-06-2009, 04:28 PM
cheatdt
Rookie
Talking Finally got it to import from the flashdrive!

Originally Posted by TedEbear
I just used Windows to delete the extra stuff I didn't want on it. I don't remember if I just used My Computer to navigate to the two drives and deleted everything off the one or reformatted it but mine just shows one drive now. That was about a year ago.

Here's a link on how to remove that unwanted utility off it: SanDisk Cruzer U3 Removal
I went to that site and there were some good ideas and suggestions. I thought I would wait until I had more time before I started anything....just in case. Today, I finally had some time to tinker with this more. Here's what I did
* I clicked on the launchpad Icon and chose 'settings'
* I then chose 'remove', this will uninstall the launchpad
* Then it asks if you want it to restore the files after it reformats the drive or to totally erase and reformat....I chose to restore the files.

This only took about 45 mins to an hour I think. Not sure, since I was doing other things and would only check periodically to see if it was done.

I crossed my fingers and went out and imported the files to the hard drive on the truck. I haven't messed with any of it on the truck to see how the songs were labeled. I will do that tonight when it's a bit cooler.

We have over 300 cd's and I have at least 1/2 of them on the flashdrive. This took about the same amount of time to transfer everything on the flashdrive as it does to copy 1-2 cd's. Talk about a huge time saver!

Old 06-07-2009, 06:45 PM
09 Ram TRX 4 Lover
Professional

I am having the same issuse's not able to load music via usb.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:33 AM
buckarcher
Veteran

Originally Posted by 09 Ram TRX 4 Lover
I am having the same issuse's not able to load music via usb.
make sure the files are WMA or MP3. MP4 will not work. I had to but a software download from "allmusicconverter.com" that converted my MP4s to MP3s. It cost me 25-30 bucks. The free ones all had spyware and virus problems. USB port is all that I use and it works good.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:30 PM
09 Ram TRX 4 Lover
Professional

ok guess i need a step by step like 1st grade lessons to do this lol. changed thumb drives still nothing. Thinking maybe usb in radio is bad??? It says no files to download or something like that. I put a cd in computer select all songs and send to thumb drive then to usb in truck is this correct? really frustered with this. Any help would be great.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:42 AM
TedEbear
Rookie

Originally Posted by 09 Ram TRX 4 Lover
I put a cd in computer select all songs and send to thumb drive then to usb in truck is this correct? really frustered with this. Any help would be great.
You can rip the CD to the computer HDD and then copy whatever music files you want to the thumb drive. The files must be in the MP3 or WMA format. You can have more than one folder on the thumb drive but each folder must be immediately off the root directory. They cannot be sub folders of other folders. MyGIG will create a different playlist for each folder, based on the name of it.

I use iTunes to compile my music library on my PC and transfer everything to the MyGIG via a 4GB thumb drive. The iTunes software is a free d/l and you don't have to own an iPod to use it.

If the MyGIG still won't recognize what you have on the thumb drive try playing some of the music that's on the USB on your computer and at least eliminate that as the problem.

Chrysler has an interactive video on the MyGIG, including a how-to on importing music files via USB to it. Click on the Copy Audio Files link on the sidebar when you get there.

How MyGIG Works

Quick Reply: Transferring music to the HDD