4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

frame making poping noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 03:42 PM
capsfloyd
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default frame making poping noise

I took the 09 rambox in for 3 recalls and told them to look into the poping noise I hear on my side at the cab/bed. When making a turn to the left it sounds like the bed is torking in a way.

I have "Big country " rails installed and the tech sais those were making the noise, that they were loose?. When I put both feet on my side they don't move or squeak, all bolts tight?

I am going to remove all tools,everything from the bed and cab. Will remove the rail on drivers side and seeif the noise is strill there. If noise is there will return to dealer and they can here the "pop" and fix it and reinstall the rail?

Old 06-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Ironsides
Professional

If those are the type of rails that attach to body mounts front and back, then your dealer is probably right. Ask the dealer what the torque spec on those bolts is, it should be pretty high.

I had the same problem on an '01 Dakota QC. The step wouldn't really give when I was standing on it, but going around some turns, it would make a popping noise. I tightened the bolt down even more (with a bigger wrench) and I haven't had the problem since.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Brummo
Captain

Originally Posted by Ironsides
If those are the type of rails that attach to body mounts front and back, then your dealer is probably right. Ask the dealer what the torque spec on those bolts is, it should be pretty high.

I had the same problem on an '01 Dakota QC. The step wouldn't really give when I was standing on it, but going around some turns, it would make a popping noise. I tightened the bolt down even more (with a bigger wrench) and I haven't had the problem since.
I had the problem on my 04 Dak too. Same solution.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:22 PM
wmichell227
Veteran

Same problem on my 09 with Luverne steps.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:29 PM
capsfloyd
Captain

I took of the divers side and drove the truck around ... NO POPING ..
called earl owens and the are going to retorque all the bolts
Now i'll have to go back to the service advisor and apologize???

Quick Reply: frame making poping noise