4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

drops idle 2-3 seconds after coming to stop - almost stalls

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 01:53 AM
AZdave
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drops idle 2-3 seconds after coming to stop - almost stalls

I've had this 5.7L truck only a couple of weeks and noticed this a few times now. I'll approach a signal and after coming to a complete stop - the engine will drop RPM's after a slight pause (2-3 seconds after dead stop), the RPM's will drop, the headlights will dim, the engine will nearly stall and then the RPM's pop back up and the lights are on at full-bright? Any thoughts? Is this a torque converter issue? I also notice on occasion that when I crawl to a stop, you can feel the truck kinda pulsate forward till I come to a complete stop (like you can feel the firing sequence) if that helps... dealer says everything is fine, they run diagnostics and don't see anything - "bring it back when it's happening" - oh boyyy.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:06 AM
RBRK
Rookie

Ya, I've had it happen on and off. I have 6000 miles on my truck. Hopefully they will come up with a ECU flash update or something for it.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:19 AM
mike2810
Captain

I thought I read somewhere that there is a RRT out for poor idle on the Hemi. I would ask the dealer to check there list of technical bulletins. If you have the option, take it to a different dealer if you are not happy with the response from the first one.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:25 AM
AZdave
Professional

I'll try a different dealership as the issue gets worse. I'd prefer, of course, to get it resolved now, but because it doesn't throw any codes, they'll just stare at me like I'm stupid. Meanwhile, another post mentioned the ETC - electronic throttle control needing to be reset, so perhaps I can pursue that if this is persistent. I did ask about a TSB for this issue, and of course, they say there isn't one - can't ever tell if the dealerships are squaring with you.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:46 AM
sking
Veteran

Originally Posted by AZdave
I'll try a different dealership as the issue gets worse. I'd prefer, of course, to get it resolved now, but because it doesn't throw any codes, they'll just stare at me like I'm stupid. Meanwhile, another post mentioned the ETC - electronic throttle control needing to be reset, so perhaps I can pursue that if this is persistent. I did ask about a TSB for this issue, and of course, they say there isn't one - can't ever tell if the dealerships are squaring with you.
How do you reset the ETC?

Old 06-27-2009, 03:49 PM
bigred3297
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing normal about that, take it to a different dealer, something is wrong

Old 06-27-2009, 06:29 PM
AZdave
Professional

Originally Posted by bigred3297
Nothing normal about that, take it to a different dealer, something is wrong
Definitely not normal, but without a code, can't get 'em to do anything. As for resetting the ETC... "values need to be reset by using a DRB3 scanner at the dealership" is what I was told

Old 06-27-2009, 08:30 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Ahhh yes..I see dodge still hasn't fixed this. Do a search on a surge at idle...which is caused by a drop in idle and then the rpms shooting up to avoid a stall. I knew they would never bother to fix the issue even with the 4th gens coming out. Yes mine does it too.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:38 AM
AZdave
Professional

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Ahhh yes..I see dodge still hasn't fixed this. Do a search on a surge at idle...which is caused by a drop in idle and then the rpms shooting up to avoid a stall. I knew they would never bother to fix the issue even with the 4th gens coming out. Yes mine does it too.

Did this issue you experienced gradually get worse or something you just put up with?

Quick Reply: drops idle 2-3 seconds after coming to stop - almost stalls