4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Easy Down Tailgate

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 02:34 PM
nchockeyfan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad has one similar to that on his 06...it takes forever for the tailgate to go down. Anyway, the 09 tailgate is not lighter than previous years by a noticable amount...it has some type of spring mechanism to give the sense that it is lighter.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:46 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nchockeyfan
My dad has one similar to that on his 06...it takes forever for the tailgate to go down. Anyway, the 09 tailgate is not lighter than previous years by a noticable amount...it has some type of spring mechanism to give the sense that it is lighter.

I never had an older Ram, but you are right on the current tailgate. It sure isn't light. I took mine off yesterday so that I could install the power lock actuator in the living room. And the spring mechanism, while making the tailgate easier to close - makes the tailgate a bigger pain to remove and reinstall.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:23 PM
crod
All Star

just ordered mine from hensons in texas over the phone. $40 something.....good deal to me.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:40 PM
jawsdc
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought I might add this since a few people were asking about how the E-Z Down tailgate assembly has worked over the course of about six months:

I did not have good luck with the "Tailgate Mounting Tee" supplied with the original part i ordered. It stripped out when I was re-tightening it about a month after initial install. It's the part that mounts to the tailgate.
I contacted Bob Yrbanek at Stabilus, the manufacturer. He sent me a heavy duty mounting tee and I have had no issues since. He noted that they will begin using the newer tees but did not say when. I'm guessing the heavier tailgate may be the reason for the part failure. The packaging states that they are only for models 2008 or older.
I would contact him before ordering a kit. The easy-down gate has definitely been worth the trouble though.
let me know if you need more info.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:11 PM
crod
All Star

huh? ill have to contact him. given i dont use the tailgate much. i still want the newest part though....

Old 11-24-2009, 07:20 PM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by topgun
Not sure how you would break it as the cable would get broken first. The shock is pretty well protected and you'd have to go through the cable first to hit it. As to why someone would want one, if you try to open the gate with your arms full, all you do is get the latch open and the gate comes down slowly, not slamming down. The new 09 is not as bad as the previous gen trucks though. But that is what it is for.

A 5 year old can't even reach the latch so that statement doesn't even make sence.
The cable is not holding it at least not on mine the first one I put on actually broke the little screw at the bottom. I think the part that they make u take off, the washer thing should be put back on to take up the slack and make the cable bottom out first but what do I know.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:22 PM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by nchockeyfan
I think what you are talking about is optional, I did not see anything of the sort inside outside anywhere. I had the cover off installing my Pace Edwards tailgate lock, so even inside unless its hiding good.? But to be fair I wasn't looking for anything like that.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:24 PM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by jawsdc
Thought I might add this since a few people were asking about how the E-Z Down tailgate assembly has worked over the course of about six months:

I did not have good luck with the "Tailgate Mounting Tee" supplied with the original part i ordered. It stripped out when I was re-tightening it about a month after initial install. It's the part that mounts to the tailgate.
I contacted Bob Yrbanek at Stabilus, the manufacturer. He sent me a heavy duty mounting tee and I have had no issues since. He noted that they will begin using the newer tees but did not say when. I'm guessing the heavier tailgate may be the reason for the part failure. The packaging states that they are only for models 2008 or older.
I would contact him before ordering a kit. The easy-down gate has definitely been worth the trouble though.
let me know if you need more info.
To whom do we speak to about this, because mine did also say up to 08 I think the length is different and the bottom takes a lot of pressure

Old 11-24-2009, 08:58 PM
crod
All Star

i just looked at my package. it say 2000 something to present.

mine lowers perfectly fine. no "hard" hits/slams etc. bought it about 5-6 mo. ago. from hensons

Old 11-25-2009, 03:12 AM
BubbaRadioNetwork
Veteran

Mine says 2002-present. I haven't installed it yet tho.

Quick Reply: Easy Down Tailgate