4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front License Plate Holes

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009 | 10:38 AM
John Valdes
Veteran

Originally Posted by topgun
We're talking about a Sport bumper, no holes from the factory. Just small dimples. The chrome bumper is completely different and has the square holes in it for the plastic nuts.

Oldjeep beat me to it.....
Yes, The nuts are in a plastic bag that came with the truck. Same bag the locking lug nuts are in. Thats one of many reasons I like the chrome package. Nice solid license plate mounting unlike the painted where you use self tapping screws. Putting a screw into the bumper itself is silly.

Old 07-01-2009 | 10:45 AM
topgun
Captain

The rear plate on either model is screwed into the plastic with self tappers. Even if you have a chrome bumper.

Old 07-01-2009 | 11:20 AM
Hdcowboy
Professional

Do a search for chome hole plugs, I'm sure you'll find what your looking for.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...q=f&oq=&aqi=g1

Or just search hole plugs in general if you dont need them chrome, you might wind up having to paint them to the exact color you need.

Last edited by Hdcowboy; 07-01-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-01-2009 | 01:45 PM
John Valdes
Veteran

Originally Posted by topgun
The rear plate on either model is screwed into the plastic with self tappers. Even if you have a chrome bumper.
My rear plate screws into a similar plastic nut like the ones provided for the chrome bumper. They are permanently attached from behind the rear bumper. The screws make no contact with the bumper itself.

Old 07-01-2009 | 01:49 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by John Valdes
My rear plate screws into a similar plastic nut like the ones provided for the chrome bumper. They are permanently attached from behind the rear bumper. The screws make no contact with the bumper itself.
The rear plate on my SLT (Chrome single exhaust bumper) is screwed right into the plastic with sheetmetal type screws - no inserts.

Old 07-02-2009 | 01:37 PM
Big_Fishman
Amateur

You could go to bumperplugs.com and buy bumper plugs that match your truck. This is how mine look:

Old 07-11-2009 | 05:00 PM
War Horse
|
All Star

OK, I tried patching and touching up the holes, but it looked like crap. So, I took Fishman's suggestion and ordered the BumperPlugs. I cleaned out the filling I'd put in, and the plugs popped right in. It looks great and you can hardly notice them.

Old 07-12-2009 | 01:25 PM
War Horse
|
All Star

Not completely clean like no holes at all, but at least it looks like they were suppose to be that way for a front tag.

Old 07-12-2009 | 08:30 PM
budlyte
Rookie

Originally Posted by War Horse
OK, I tried patching and touching up the holes, but it looked like crap. So, I took Fishman's suggestion and ordered the BumperPlugs. I cleaned out the filling I'd put in, and the plugs popped right in. It looks great and you can hardly notice them.
I agree they look good, but the price they charge is ridiculous; $24.95 + $8.95 shipping for 2 little plugs? Unbelievable

Old 07-12-2009 | 11:10 PM
War Horse
|
All Star

Originally Posted by budlyte
I agree they look good, but the price they charge is ridiculous; $24.95 + $8.95 shipping for 2 little plugs? Unbelievable
Yea, the price is just silly. I think they cater to the European sports car market mainly, so they can ask those prices and get away with it. If my patch job hadn't looked so crappy, I would have never spent that much. But compared to what it would have cost to replace the bumper, I'll gladly fork over the $35.

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Holes