4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Towing

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 01:48 AM
cclaffey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for your valuable info. I'll be taking it all into consideration. Maybe I do need to consider a 2500, but that won't happen until 2010, because I can't stand the old interior which is scheduled to get the upgrade like the 2009 1500, in 2010. So maybe I wait till then, maybe I get ansy and jump on a deal now?! We'll see...I got a dealer down to ~$35K today on a loaded Laramie...thats the best I have found.

I stepped into the dealership and found the right truck but it had the 3:55:1 rear end and did not have the limited slip diff. This seemed too far from what I would ultimately be pleased with, I was ready to concede on the rear axle ratio, but not on the limited slip diff. So I remain looking for the right one. Any comments on limited slip option would be well received.

Some things to add, I did more research and found 3000lbs. air bags, I assume they'll be better than the Air Lift1000's but haven't heard anything on them. Also, more detail on the trailer I'll be towing: it's a 6100lbs. boat, dry, and is on a tandem axle trailer rated for 7000lbs. I believe this will knock down the tongue weight as mentioned by another poster. I am guessing around a 600 - 700 lbs. tongue weight?! I was shocked when I read that one of the posters had severe squatting at what seemed to be relatively light tongue weight, this was concerning but then others mentioned they hauled things often without issues.

It seems the majority of posters to this thread are confident the 2009 Ram 1500 with air bags can handle this weight and that the 3:92:1, although poor for fuel consumption, is the best axle option but not a must have.

Any more insight is always helpful. Thanks all for your interest and knowledge sharing. Have a great remainder of the Independence Day long weekend.

cclaffey

Old 07-05-2009, 02:02 AM
BubbaRadioNetwork
Veteran

I personally would not get anything less than the 3.92. I wish they offered a 4.10 like my 2000 Off-Road Ram had. I am one of the few that get better mileage with those gears. It must be the way I drive. I always figured it got into overdrive sooner. You will definitely want the limited slip if you live anywhere that gets snow. The tow ratings are higher on the 3.92's also.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:07 AM
Inbred
Professional

higher capacity airbags, which don't exist as far as I know, do not affect tow ratings. Read the chart. with 20" rims and a 3.55 gear ratio, your tow rating can be just over 6000 pounds. That puts you a ton over the combined rating. Same truck with 17" rim sized tires and 3.92 gears will get you 2000 more pounds, but you will still be pushing the limits.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:19 AM
tombogue09
Captain

If your considering a 2500 Dodge then I would advise that you get gas instead of the 6.7 cummins. If you want diesel then do lots of research so you know what your getting in to. The old 5.9 cummins was awesome but they ruined the 6.7 with the 2010 diesel emissions crap. I spent over $1000 and alot of work and research getting the stuff off, but decided the voided warranty and risk of getting caught wasn't worth it.
If it wasn't for that I would still have that truck instead of this one. That engine could pick up the hemi and throw it!

I would stay with the truck you got picked out with preferably 3.92 but 3.55's alright. Your not going to tow it much and you will get better gas mileage.

Last edited by tombogue09; 07-05-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:40 PM
cclaffey

Originally Posted by Inbred
higher capacity airbags, which don't exist as far as I know, do not affect tow ratings. Read the chart. with 20" rims and a 3.55 gear ratio, your tow rating can be just over 6000 pounds. That puts you a ton over the combined rating. Same truck with 17" rim sized tires and 3.92 gears will get you 2000 more pounds, but you will still be pushing the limits.

Inbred - Please consider this an opportunity to educate me, and note my questions are far from sarcastic.

It's my understanding the air bags will only help with the potential squatting issue when dealing with a heavy tongue weight, but not help increase the actual weight the truck can tow or the combined weight the is rated for. I think we agree on this, but if I am wrong please interject. As far as the chart goes, I am not 100% certain on the definitions of each heading. Would airbags rated for 1000lbs. such as the ones we were talking earlier actually add to the trucks payload then or maybe the GAWR (axle weight I assume)? I guess the question is how do the airbags impact the trucks ratings, if at all?

I am looking at the 3:92:1 rear end with 20" wheels which is rated at 6,800lbs. GVWR. It shows a GCWR (combined weight I assume) of 13,000lbs. and a max trailer of 7,200lbs. So if we look at these ratings and consider the boat and trailer I will be towing, I am coming up with the following:

- 6,500# boat/trailer - Is less than max trailer of 7,200#'s, so this works.
- 6,500# + 6,800# truck = 13,300# - Exceeds than the GCWR of 13,000#'s which now pushes me beyond legal limits. As stated before the airbags don't help add to the GCWR, correct? So to get me there, assuming airbags don't help the GCWR, I need the 17" wheels and the 3:92:1 to give me the 14,000# GCWR. This will keep me below rating limits considering managing my luggage, # of people in the truck, fuel in the boat etc...

Can I conclude then that the truck is capable and fully competent of towing the boat without issue if putting on the 17" wheels and the 3:92:1 limited slip rear end? I assume the ratings are limits set with significant cushion built-in to the numbers, so even on 20" wheels it would handle it fine, but it's not recommended?!

Any other opinions are of course welcome.

Thanks all for your insight.

cclaffey

Old 07-05-2009, 02:30 PM
lineguy
Amateur

For what it is worth. I have a 09 qc with the 3.55 rearend with the 20's. I haul a 5400 lb trailer that has 1240 lbs tounge wieght 70 miles round trip every week. I have the airlift 1000s filled to 30 psi and the truck handles like there is nothing back there. As far as the limited slip in the winter, I had it in my last truck and it was good for getting around in town but on an icy highway if you lost traction both wheels spun and it tried to put the back wheels in front of the front wheels.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:10 PM
bigred3297
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cclaffey

Inbred - Please consider this an opportunity to educate me, and note my questions are far from sarcastic.

It's my understanding the air bags will only help with the potential squatting issue when dealing with a heavy tongue weight, but not help increase the actual weight the truck can tow or the combined weight the is rated for. I think we agree on this, but if I am wrong please interject. As far as the chart goes, I am not 100% certain on the definitions of each heading. Would airbags rated for 1000lbs. such as the ones we were talking earlier actually add to the trucks payload then or maybe the GAWR (axle weight I assume)? I guess the question is how do the airbags impact the trucks ratings, if at all?

I am looking at the 3:92:1 rear end with 20" wheels which is rated at 6,800lbs. GVWR. It shows a GCWR (combined weight I assume) of 13,000lbs. and a max trailer of 7,200lbs. So if we look at these ratings and consider the boat and trailer I will be towing, I am coming up with the following:

- 6,500# boat/trailer - Is less than max trailer of 7,200#'s, so this works.
- 6,500# + 6,800# truck = 13,300# - Exceeds than the GCWR of 13,000#'s which now pushes me beyond legal limits. As stated before the airbags don't help add to the GCWR, correct? So to get me there, assuming airbags don't help the GCWR, I need the 17" wheels and the 3:92:1 to give me the 14,000# GCWR. This will keep me below rating limits considering managing my luggage, # of people in the truck, fuel in the boat etc...

Can I conclude then that the truck is capable and fully competent of towing the boat without issue if putting on the 17" wheels and the 3:92:1 limited slip rear end? I assume the ratings are limits set with significant cushion built-in to the numbers, so even on 20" wheels it would handle it fine, but it's not recommended?!

Any other opinions are of course welcome.

Thanks all for your insight.

cclaffey
Sounds right to me, it's safe to stay within their regulations, it is highly illegal in some states for exceeding the recommendations and if you get in an accident, only you to be blamed...

Old 07-05-2009, 03:17 PM
bigred3297
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tombogue09
If your considering a 2500 Dodge then I would advise that you get gas instead of the 6.7 cummins. If you want diesel then do lots of research so you know what your getting in to. The old 5.9 cummins was awesome but they ruined the 6.7 with the 2010 diesel emissions crap. I spent over $1000 and alot of work and research getting the stuff off, but decided the voided warranty and risk of getting caught wasn't worth it.
If it wasn't for that I would still have that truck instead of this one. That engine could pick up the hemi and throw it!

I would stay with the truck you got picked out with preferably 3.92 but 3.55's alright. Your not going to tow it much and you will get better gas mileage.

i've always driven either a powerstroke or cummins, i went through the same ordeal in 2006 with a new cummins and ended up returning it because of the horrible mpg, amount of problems i had caused by the emission regulating equipment, and other problems. If you're not too caught up with a new truck, find yourself a 7.3l Powerstroke or a 5.9L Cummins, they can still be found in excellent condition

Old 07-05-2009, 08:50 PM
cclaffey

Apparently my last statement was incorrect as the 2009 Dodge 1/2 ton has a curb weight of ~5,700#'s, not 6,800#'s. so the 3:55 would barely work?!

Old 07-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

1. Curb weight of the 1500 Laramie CC 2wd is ~5,360 according to Yahoo Autos.

2. I tow a boat w/ tandem trailer that is about 5,000 lbs with my 3.55s and 20s. Power is not a problem at all. It's the suspension setup that limits your towing. But, I love the ride of the new Rams, so it's worth it.

3. Towing your boat with a 1500 can definitely be done, but I'd get 3.92s and 17's. Otherwise look for a 2500.

Quick Reply: Towing