4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just installed Mufflex 18

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:33 PM
09 Ram TRX 4 Lover
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Just installed Mufflex 18

Hey guys, just got done installing the mufflex 18 in my garage TO EASY. I did however notice one bad thing. I removed the tailpipe (with resonator) and the heat from the exhaust started to melt the caseing around the e-brake cable (passenger side) so i had some heat wrap left over so wrapped the cable to protect it. Oops never thought of the plastic melting when removed that part of exhaust. Sounds really good glad i got the 18 and not the 14.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:25 AM
buckarcher
Veteran

Do you mean the cable melted from regular use or because you took it apart when it was hot? I got burnt and decided to let it cool for about an hour. I thought long and hard about the 18, but decided to go with the 14. I really don't think that there is much of a difference between the magnaflow mufflers regardless of their sound scale. I did a review of the DODS14 in the FAQs thread. I would recommend reading it for anyone interested in this mod.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:28 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say you removed the tailpipe and resonator - does that mean that your exhaust now dumps right out the back of the muffler (under the truck?)

Old 07-09-2009, 10:35 AM
tbagr

Originally Posted by 09 Ram TRX 4 Lover
Hey guys, just got done installing the mufflex 18 in my garage TO EASY. I did however notice one bad thing. I removed the tailpipe (with resonator) and the heat from the exhaust started to melt the caseing around the e-brake cable (passenger side) so i had some heat wrap left over so wrapped the cable to protect it. Oops never thought of the plastic melting when removed that part of exhaust. Sounds really good glad i got the 18 and not the 14.
I am struggling with the 14 vs. 18 and you might have swayed me toward the 18. One question / comment though, at highway and cruising speeds do you notice the sound much? One of the many things I love about this truck is the quietness of the cabin at all speeds. Obviously some muscle sound accelerating is awesome but being quiet at cruising speeds, with kids watching Sirius TV in the back, is nice. It obviously needs more rumble but I think combination of the 18" AND a CAI when AEM or AFE comes out with one will give it even more rumble.
Thanks for any info in advance!

Old 07-09-2009, 12:50 PM
TDD_Shizzy
Amateur

Originally Posted by tbagr
I am struggling with the 14 vs. 18 and you might have swayed me toward the 18. One question / comment though, at highway and cruising speeds do you notice the sound much? One of the many things I love about this truck is the quietness of the cabin at all speeds. Obviously some muscle sound accelerating is awesome but being quiet at cruising speeds, with kids watching Sirius TV in the back, is nice. It obviously needs more rumble but I think combination of the 18" AND a CAI when AEM or AFE comes out with one will give it even more rumble.
I did a custom 18" magnaflow isntall, and i am really happy that i went with an 18" and not the 14". I think i would have been fine with a 24" as well, but i do enjoy the extra little bit of noise the 18" produces. As for cabin noise, it is def there, much more than stock, but if you listen to tunes or the kids have headphones on it isnt distracting or anything. When you are hard on the gas then its not that bad. You really arent going to get away from cabin drone, unless you keep stock, or find something even less aggressive than the 24", but then you dont get the rumble you want. Its the price to pay for a good sounding truck.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:52 PM
kddsRam
Veteran

I too was debating the 18 or 14, had the 18 on my 06 FX4, the stock sport muffler was a 26 ( not a flow-through ), so I tried something different and went 14. Sounds great when you nail it but if I was to do it again, would have stayed with the 18. Guess I am showing my age now..

One thing I noticed is it appears to go into MDS mode much easier now, even after disconnecting the neg batt cable for about 30 minutes. I think it sounds like a jake brake when this happens and the 18 may sound a bit better in this mode..

Old 07-09-2009, 03:11 PM
09 Ram TRX 4 Lover
Professional

Originally Posted by tbagr
I havent been on the highway yet. in town 1-2 gear you can hear it (from take off) then it is quiet I am very happy will the results.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:15 PM
09 Ram TRX 4 Lover
Professional

Originally Posted by buckarcher
Do you mean the cable melted from regular use or because you took it apart when it was hot? I got burnt and decided to let it cool for about an hour. I thought long and hard about the 18, but decided to go with the 14. I really don't think that there is much of a difference between the magnaflow mufflers regardless of their sound scale. I did a review of the DODS14 in the FAQs thread. I would recommend reading it for anyone interested in this mod.
No I mean when i removed the tailpipe from the muffler, the heat coming from the outlet of the muffler melted the plastic caseing arond the e-brake cable.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:17 PM
09 Ram TRX 4 Lover
Professional

Originally Posted by oldjeep
You say you removed the tailpipe and resonator - does that mean that your exhaust now dumps right out the back of the muffler (under the truck?)
yes it dumps under the truck. I will probally put a turn down on it some day.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:26 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 09 Ram TRX 4 Lover
yes it dumps under the truck. I will probally put a turn down on it some day.
I'd be concerned about that for a couple reasons.

There's some ABS wires and brake lines back there that might not like the heat either. Also might want to check proximity to your shock absorber, they don't like extra heat much either.

Not sure if you have this issue in OK, but here the exhaust condensation will put a lot of water vapor all over the bottom of the truck - gets into wiring and can freeze in the winter.

Any reason for not running a side dump or pipe straight out the back?

And how far back is your muffler outlet? Past the gas tank? - Since you melted the e-brake, I'm assuming it's in front of the axle.

Last edited by oldjeep; 07-09-2009 at 03:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Just installed Mufflex 18