4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Blue smoke already???

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Northern Ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue smoke already???

After my truck has been shut down for a few hours when I go to start her up, I get a fair size puff of blue smoke out the tail pipes.
It only has 2500 kms on it, is this common for this Hemi engine, or please don't tell me that the valve seals may be shot already???
I haven't had the best of luck with this truck, as it must have been on the assembly line when the guys were told that the plant was closing.
either way the dealer will be getting a call tomorrow.
Thanx for any help.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:44 PM
72combo
Champion

FYI I worked in a Chrysler Plant....we didn't damage vehicles when we found out things were going bad in fact I recall staying overtime to help cover the vans with large sheets of plastic since we were gonna be down for 6 weeks , keeps the dust off I guess. Unless you worked at a plant and that is what you did then I ..........have nothing.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Northern Ram

nothing ment by the assembly line shot, I have two of these units, the 2nd one has been flawless, just can't understand how a brand new truck can have so many problems right out of the gate, could be something as simple as moisture in the exhaust pipe from cooling down.
Hope it all worx out for you guys on the lines, I can understand the frustration as I work the Alberta oil patch and now thanx to Stelmach half of the Alberta oil workers sit at home.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:21 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The truck I ordered (and was sitting in paint for 2 months) showed at my dealer this week. Built in St. Louis (closing plant) and looks great! Granted I did not drive it, but hats off to the workers.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Justin89
Rookie

this is starting to worry me this is the second post about blue smoke i have seen on these forums i hope this isnt a sign of what to expect further down the road!

Old 07-11-2009, 12:02 AM
tombogue09
Captain

I notice alot of older chrysler vehicles with blue smoke billowing out the exhaust. My dad had a 99 Ram Van V8 that poured blue smoke and used a full quart of oil between fillups.
In other words.... this doesn't surprise me

Old 07-11-2009, 01:43 AM
jhedger
Veteran

At least you have the warranty.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:12 PM
td_20

Originally Posted by Northern Ram
nothing ment by the assembly line shot, I have two of these units, the 2nd one has been flawless, just can't understand how a brand new truck can have so many problems right out of the gate, could be something as simple as moisture in the exhaust pipe from cooling down.
Hope it all worx out for you guys on the lines, I can understand the frustration as I work the Alberta oil patch and now thanx to Stelmach half of the Alberta oil workers sit at home.
Hey Northern

Didn't those royalty changes get put on hold? Most of the oil patch stuff do to low oil prices? I'm in Alberta to I think the biggest problem here is voter turn out of only 41%.
The only problem with my Ram so far was filling the gas tank to full and getting the lose gas cap light, witch turns in to check engine light after after it sees it 3 times.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:48 PM
09 Ram TRX 4 Lover
Professional

Hope things work out for you and your truck. I don't think the issues You are haveing are normal. I (knock on wood) have not seen this or had this happen.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:11 PM
bigred3297
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Justin89
this is starting to worry me this is the second post about blue smoke i have seen on these forums i hope this isnt a sign of what to expect further down the road!
second post of the problem on here, do you realize how many 09 ram owners are on this site, i'd say thats a statistic working in our favor

Quick Reply: Blue smoke already???