4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Installing Steering wheel with controls

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009 | 07:02 PM
zuiquan1
|
Professional
Default Installing Steering wheel with controls

Alright so I have a 4.7 ST without steering wheel controls. I bought an 09 ram wheel with the controls off of ebay for about a hundred bucks. I took it to the dealership in my area and asked for a quote for installation. They say it couldnt be done, unless your truck came with the controls in the first place. They said I would have to change out the clockspring, and rewire the entire steering column...

I know it can be done, there was someone on this forum who did it. My question is is there anyone who knows how, or maybe has a wiring diagram I could see.

Are there any kits available for this type of thing? My dealership said to try one of the aftermarket audio shops around me, I'm just trying to get all the information piled up first so I don't get another deer in the headlights look like I got from the dealers.

Thanks.

Last edited by zuiquan1; 07-15-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-16-2009 | 01:10 AM
72combo
Champion

The Kit comes with the letters after Dodge Ram SLT will get you steering wheel controls, for all the work searching for the upgrades from ST to SLT it is hardly worth the effort. To go to a sport looking from an SLT would be easier.

Old 07-16-2009 | 03:43 PM
zuiquan1
|
Professional

Do you have a link to this kit?

Old 07-17-2009 | 12:20 AM
72combo
Champion
Old 07-21-2009 | 07:29 PM
zuiquan1
|
Professional

Update for those interested:

I went and got the wheel installed and the shop was able to plug the wiring harness directly into the factory plug. He said the wiring harness on the wheel had two additional blue wires in it then the one he pulled off. The clock spring had positions for the horn, cruise control and blue connectors for what we assume was the steering wheel controls. After installation we discovered the only thing that worked was the cruise control. The horn and all the controls were inop. I'm taking it to the dealership on Monday to see if I can get the controls activated with star scan. Hopefully that is the problem as it looked like all the required connectors were there.

Old 07-27-2009 | 02:38 PM
zuiquan1
|
Professional

took it to the dealership and had the controls activated, but they still could not get the controls or horn to work. They said it should have been "plug and play" and asked me to bring in a set of instructions.....dont know where the hell to get those lol.

Quick Reply: Installing Steering wheel with controls