4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can you get a trailer hitch with a R/T?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 01:29 PM
jdustu
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nchockeyfan
Alright, I can't figure out how to copy a pic of it to here but I can guide you to the webpage on dodge dot com.

http://www.dodge.com/en/2009/ram_150...owing_payload/

scroll down and look on the left side of the webpage and you will see a hyperlink to the Dodge Bodybuilders Guide. Follow the link and click on the 1500 4X2 120.5" wheelbase. Look for the last combo with the 4.10 gears.

jdutsu, I too cannot figure out how to build a R/T on their website...maybe they don't allow us stupid consumers to actually try to get exactly what we want.
Oh cool, thanks man. Man, that is a huge drop. Actually, there is a big variation in a lot of the trucks...I wonder if part of it is to do with the many different spring combos?

Back in the spring you could build an R/T, but you couldn't buy one. Then the "build it" option disappeared for R/Ts, and everyone figured it wasn't coming out until 2010. Then a few got built, but you still couldn't do it on the site....although you could on Dodge.ca(canada's dodge site) the last I checked. Hopefully it all gets sorted out for 2010. Chrysler's sites have always been a bit buggy and not very user friendly though.

Side note: I might as well take that hitch off my truck lol

Old 07-20-2009, 02:01 PM
nchockeyfan

Yeah, it is sobering to see a Hemi with 20s and 3.21 gears have a better tow rating than a R/T.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:14 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, it is sobering to see a Hemi with 20s and 3.21 gears have a better tow rating than a R/T.

Why? The tow ratings on the Ford Lightnings suck too. People arn't (or shouldn't) be buying hotrod pickups to tow.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:40 PM
jdustu
Veteran

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Why? The tow ratings on the Ford Lightnings suck too. People arn't (or shouldn't) be buying hotrod pickups to tow.
Yeah, if I was planning on towing, I'd have gone another route.

I remember the fiasco with the Dakota R/T, after they came out they actually lowered the tow rating to 2k! They ended up buying back some of them. I believe that was nearly all due to suspension issues. The trans and motor were used in the Ram to tow, the frame is same in other dakotas rated to tow more, but it has a sports suspension. My brother in law has a couple of them, one as his DD right now. He put air bags in it and it tows fine.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:13 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My SRT says DO NOT TOW with this vehicle

Old 07-21-2009, 12:18 PM
nchockeyfan

oldjeep, I understand your point about using a sport/performance truck for it's designed purpose...but I would hardly classify the 09 Ram R/T as one of those.

It has a different rear gear (which actually should help towing), but is hurt only by it's different torque convertor (in relation to tow capacity). To my knowledge there are no other suspension changes, so YES, I am slightly surprised at HOW MUCH the torque convertor changed the tow rating.

Yes, I agree there are better choices if towing is an issue.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:56 PM
jdustu
Veteran

oldjeep, I understand your point about using a sport/performance truck for it's designed purpose...but I would hardly classify the 09 Ram R/T as one of those.

It has a different rear gear (which actually should help towing), but is hurt only by it's different torque convertor (in relation to tow capacity). To my knowledge there are no other suspension changes, so YES, I am slightly surprised at HOW MUCH the torque convertor changed the tow rating.

Yes, I agree there are better choices if towing is an issue.

Dodge used a bunch of different rear springs on these trucks, so the suspensions do change truck to truck. I think that could have a lot to do with it too. That, combined with the higher stall converter that is part of a drivetrain covered under a pretty long warranty, I can see it.

Why wouldn't you classify it as a "sport" truck? The weight, power, and performance of my truck is right in step with my buddy's '04 Lightning.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:46 PM
nchockeyfan

jdutsu, I personally don't consider it a "performance" truck because in my mind it does not have enough performance enhancements. It has the same engine, and suspension as a SLT 4X2 with a hemi and 3.92 gears. I'm not saying it is not faster than most of the other Rams, just not enough done to it in my opinion. Now if it had the 6.1L hemi and some suspension modifications...

Out of curiousity, does anyone know exactly how much faster the R/T package is compared to other 4X2 hemi Rams?

I have made a personal opinion about not calling the R/T a "performance" truck. And I do not expect others to agree with me on this.

I love the appearance of the R/T and the upgrades to the rear gear and the torque convertor. So much so, I am considering taking a financial bath and trading my 4 month old 09 Ram SLT in for one of these. I am not bashing the R/T, just splitting hairs calling it a "performance" truck.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:28 PM
jdustu
Veteran

jdutsu, I personally don't consider it a "performance" truck because in my mind it does not have enough performance enhancements. It has the same engine, and suspension as a SLT 4X2 with a hemi and 3.92 gears. I'm not saying it is not faster than most of the other Rams, just not enough done to it in my opinion. Now if it had the 6.1L hemi and some suspension modifications...

Out of curiousity, does anyone know exactly how much faster the R/T package is compared to other 4X2 hemi Rams?

I have made a personal opinion about not calling the R/T a "performance" truck. And I do not expect others to agree with me on this.

I love the appearance of the R/T and the upgrades to the rear gear and the torque convertor. So much so, I am considering taking a financial bath and trading my 4 month old 09 Ram SLT in for one of these. I am not bashing the R/T, just splitting hairs calling it a "performance" truck.
There is one guy on here with a rc 4x2 hemi that runs low 14s. That truck also weighs a couple hundred pounds less and has 17s, so the gearing ends up being similar. The '09 hemis really go.

Like oldjeep said, higher stall converters just aren't good for towing.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:37 PM
jdustu
Veteran

Basically you could get a stripped down 4x2 rcsb truck, be wicked quick, and be able to tow.

Quick Reply: Can you get a trailer hitch with a R/T?