4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pace Edwards Tailgate power lock

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 11:56 AM
72combo
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pace Edwards Tailgate power lock

Finally got around to installing this lock, well the lock itself takes 1 minute to install but taking the cover off the tailgate take longer, then I should have installed it before it was oil sprayed forgot about the one long wire that ran from the tailgate to under the hood. Rash of tailgate and wheel thefts around here so I thought I should get around to it. I didn't take pics because it was not rocket science, anyone can do it.
The only reason Imentioned this is while going thru the wire harness looking for the wires and I found a few that you can tell they have been tested..they have that little hole poked in them and a few that have been spliced or repair or something since there was tape on them. Now I am worried a bit because whatever that is all about there I don't want to be blamed for if there is a warranty issue to do with those spliced wires. It is notjust electrical tape , it might even be the way the harness is designed. I did notice 5 or 6 empty connectors under there....I am thinking a couple for where the kicker amp goes, I know the big blue one is for the trailer wiring. There is a couple small white ones, a green one, a larger grey by the trailer plug. I just wonder if any are for lights under the dash, that would be nice but I don't want to super bright leds, what even happened to under dash lights?

Oh by the way the lock works great it unlocks with the first click of the factory key fob or with the drivers door, I could have hooked it to the passenger doors wires that way it would not unlock with the drivers door, but I could always just go into EVIC and make everything open on the first click.
I was afraid the lock was going into plastic and all you have to do is yank hard and you are in but there is a metal handle type thing that the lock slide in front of, if you yank hard and break the handle you wont get in unless you tank the inside tailgate cover off and open it manually then you need a new handle.

Last edited by 72combo; 07-28-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:02 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wondering - why did you go with the Pace Edwards and not the Mopar? What's the cost on the PE?

Old 07-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Ironsides
Professional

The Mopar unit requires that the tailgate already have a locking handle. The Pace Edwards unit will work whether the tailgate locks or not.

Having seen both though, I'm glad I went with the Mopar unit, because it works better, I think. The Pace Edwards unit will block the tailgate handle from being pulled out. But the Mopar unit disconnects the handle from the tailgate latch mechanism, much more secure.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:02 PM
j-rod82
Rookie

Where did you find the PE Lock for the 09 RAM?

Couple sites I went to only had ones for 03-08 RAM

This PE Lock would work great for me as I do not have the locking tailgate.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Ironsides
Professional

Originally Posted by j-rod82
Where did you find the PE Lock for the 09 RAM?

Couple sites I went to only had ones for 03-08 RAM

This PE Lock would work great for me as I do not have the locking tailgate.
http://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-...8A3369049.aspx

Old 07-28-2009, 02:24 PM
j-rod82
Rookie

Thank you Ironsides.

72combo, is there a downloadable set of instructions for the PE lock that I can read before I order.
I was also wondering how easy it was to locate the correct wires for the door locks and if I could splice into the passenger door wires instead of the driver door like you did.

Thanks for the heads up on the Pace Edwards PowerGate, I didn't know about this until now.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:28 PM
oldjeep
Champion

72Combo - what color were the wires that you tapped into? I've got my truck setup to unlock all doors at once, so I've got no idea if Mopar has you tap into the driver or passenger circuit.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:35 PM
j-rod82
Rookie

Well I just ordered this product today. Compared to the cost of the manual lock from the dealer this PE Lock was the way to go.

I will let ya'll know how it goes.

72Combo, if you don't mind I may ask ya questions if I run into any snags. The only part I'm worried about is running and splicing the wire.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:41 PM
topgun
Captain
Old 07-28-2009, 06:38 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by topgun

LOL, that's my thread. So you're saying that the Tan/Light Blue and Tan/Dark blue wires are the rear door circuit.

Quick Reply: Pace Edwards Tailgate power lock