4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Magnaflow/Mufflex

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009 | 06:28 PM
joker055
|
Amateur

Originally Posted by War Horse
Just installed my DOD14M this morning. Did it in the driveway in under 40 minutes. The thing sounds awesome!

Any chance you can post a sound clip? I'm really having a hard time deciding between the 14 and the 18.

What do you guys think of Flowmaster or Borla? For the price you can't beat Mufflex's deal and setup though.

Old 07-31-2009 | 07:40 PM
War Horse
All Star

My video posting skills suck, but there are a couple of good ones on YouTube. Here are a couple of good comparision videos done by some of the forum members:

Mufflex 18: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yT8b...eature=related

Mufflex 14: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzoL4...eature=related

After driving it around today, I did notice one thing. If you tow something regularly, the sound bouncing back off the trailer/boat might be rather loud in the cab on long trips.

Old 07-31-2009 | 09:39 PM
tbagr
Default 18 Installed!

Well, my 18 came in today around 1 and I couldn't wait to come home from work to put it on. I was prepared for 1 - 1 1/2 hour install but was done in about 50 minutes. If you have a helper to hand you stuff it will take less time.

Now my impression........AWSOME! For me, two kids with the BackSeat Sirius TV, I didn't want anything too loud at cruising speeds so I played it safe with the 18. When AFE or a true CAI comes out that will also make it throaty'er and a bit louder. The sound is EXACTLY what I want, at idle, acceleration and cruising speeds (55-75 mph). When you let off the peddle it has a slight rumble. I did notice when I got back it had a newness burning smell and the tips were HOT and I mean HOT. This might result in them turning yellow.....will have to wait an see. The factory tips ARE NOT DOUBLE WALLED. If this will eliminate discoloring I will probably have them swapped out. I will update if the tips start turning.

If, and a big if, I can figure out how to post a video I will do so sometime tomorrow. Any tips (okay, full directions!) would be appretiated!

Old 08-01-2009 | 12:58 AM
topgun
Captain

I installed the 24" this week. Haven't really got much time on it but does sound nice. Not too loud but better than stock. Deeper is the word to use. I was afraid of the 18" after hearing some of the reports since I do intend on towing. And all towing around here involves lots of hills so I wanted to stay away from any drone.

What does the MDS going in and out sound like with your 14" or 18" muffler installed? I've got the 24" and you can definitely hear it now. It's not bad when in 4 cyl mode just the entering and exiting of it. Kinda hard to explain but when shifting to 4 cyl, the RPMs increase, when coming out they decrease. So the muffler being louder enhances that sound to where it almost sounds like a jake brake for that second in transition. Would think that the louder muffler would be even more noticeable.

I really see no reason for the exhaust to run hotter than stock. The tips are single wall but chromed.

Kit Quality: My muffler was pretty banged up with no damage to the box. Had to be done when they welded the pipes on as it was hit with something metal. The welds look good though. What about the extensions? Are they stainless also? Looks like they were painted silver. The clamps with the mounting bracket was painted for sure. The rod used was also smaller diameter than stock making for a loose fit into the hangar. Stock looked to be 1/2", Mufflex hangar probably 3/8". Nitpicking but for the price, I expected a little better.

Last edited by topgun; 08-01-2009 at 01:10 AM.
Old 08-01-2009 | 07:17 AM
Stonewhiteram
Rookie

[quote=topgun;1756024]What does the MDS going in and out sound like with your 14" or 18" muffler installed? I've got the 24" and you can definitely hear it now. It's not bad when in 4 cyl mode just the entering and exiting of it. Kinda hard to explain but when shifting to 4 cyl, the RPMs increase, when coming out they decrease. So the muffler being louder enhances that sound to where it almost sounds like a jake brake for that second in transition. Would think that the louder muffler would be even more noticeable./quote]

I think mine sounds like a Subaru with an exhaust system and one of those "coffee can" 4" tips on it when MDS engages. I have the Mufflex 18" But I will put up with the embarrassment of the sound for the fuel savings. It is significant over my Titan with less horsepower.

Old 08-01-2009 | 07:59 AM
stealthgoat
Professional

Originally Posted by topgun
I installed the 24" this week. Haven't really got much time on it but does sound nice. Not too loud but better than stock. Deeper is the word to use. I was afraid of the 18" after hearing some of the reports since I do intend on towing. And all towing around here involves lots of hills so I wanted to stay away from any drone.

What does the MDS going in and out sound like with your 14" or 18" muffler installed? I've got the 24" and you can definitely hear it now. It's not bad when in 4 cyl mode just the entering and exiting of it. Kinda hard to explain but when shifting to 4 cyl, the RPMs increase, when coming out they decrease. So the muffler being louder enhances that sound to where it almost sounds like a jake brake for that second in transition. Would think that the louder muffler would be even more noticeable.

I really see no reason for the exhaust to run hotter than stock. The tips are single wall but chromed.

Kit Quality: My muffler was pretty banged up with no damage to the box. Had to be done when they welded the pipes on as it was hit with something metal. The welds look good though. What about the extensions? Are they stainless also? Looks like they were painted silver. The clamps with the mounting bracket was painted for sure. The rod used was also smaller diameter than stock making for a loose fit into the hangar. Stock looked to be 1/2", Mufflex hangar probably 3/8". Nitpicking but for the price, I expected a little better.
I have to agree with topgun on this one. If you do any towing, you know the 24's are back there, For myself I'm glad I went with the 24".

Old 08-01-2009 | 09:49 PM
topgun
Captain

I drove the truck quite a bit today and low and behold, the exhaust tips seemed to be real hot as mentioned early in the thread. Could smell them so I looked. I don't understand that at all. It is more free flowing now but why would it be hotter? One would think that the O2 sensors would richen the mix if needed. I'm at a loss.

The 24" is borderline too quiet. I'd say it is about twice as loud as stock. No drone at all. It could be that the majority of the sound is going straight out the rear so you don't hear it as much. Might be different when the sound is bouncing back forward off a trailer. At idle sitting in the driveway, it does have a nice rumble though. If it gets a touch louder after breakin as people have been saying, it will be perfect IMHO.

Old 08-01-2009 | 10:41 PM
War Horse
All Star

I was a little worried the wife would hate the 14, and thus I'd be putting the stock muffler back on this weekend. Wonder of all wonders, she didn't even mention anything about it, and we were all over town on side streets and the highway. I thought for sure that she's ask why is was louder when I had to give it a little gas on the highway to merge, but not a peep.

Other than when MDS kicks in, I really love the sound. Loud, but not glass pack loud.

Old 08-02-2009 | 09:59 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio

Not me. Only thing I get is black on the bottom edge, which if course washes off every week.

Old 09-17-2009 | 08:23 PM
danno5069
Professional

Well I finally got my 24 and am really pissed off. The website says 20 minute install, they neglected to mention that you have to remove the little divots that are welded on the tailpipes and inlet pipe, they are used to align the exhaust at the factory. After grinding them off i buttoned everything up and tightened the clamps. One clamp broke at the weld, I had to use a regular muffler clamp to get by until Mufflex sends a new one or I remove the system and put my old one on. Took it for a test drive and noticed a leak, coming from where one of the aligning divots used to be. After shipping and currency conversion this muffler cost almost $400, not worth it. Really wish I had left factory axhaust on, nothing but a bloody headache.