4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Magnaflow/Mufflex

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009 | 09:24 PM
bls8195
Professional

What type of places do exhaust for trucks?

Old 09-18-2009 | 02:25 PM
Thatmarkguy
Veteran

Originally Posted by bls8195
What type of places do exhaust for trucks?
Muffler shops.

Old 09-18-2009 | 03:46 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio

Originally Posted by danno5069
Well I finally got my 24 and am really pissed off. The website says 20 minute install, they neglected to mention that you have to remove the little divots that are welded on the tailpipes and inlet pipe, they are used to align the exhaust at the factory. After grinding them off i buttoned everything up and tightened the clamps. One clamp broke at the weld, I had to use a regular muffler clamp to get by until Mufflex sends a new one or I remove the system and put my old one on. Took it for a test drive and noticed a leak, coming from where one of the aligning divots used to be. After shipping and currency conversion this muffler cost almost $400, not worth it. Really wish I had left factory axhaust on, nothing but a bloody headache.

Hmmm, I did not have to do that....

Old 09-18-2009 | 05:13 PM
topgun
Captain

Same here. You just leave the alignment pins alone as they are not in the way. They actually work like a stop so you don't shove the muffler on too far.

Old 09-19-2009 | 10:26 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

I had a 24 inch Magnaflow XL series installed with double walled rolled tips.Exiting behind rear wheels.No yellowing.I will say that its LOUD to me.No resonators.Could not imagine using a 14 or 18 inch muffler.

Old 10-08-2009 | 01:35 PM
talehunter
Thumbs up

Just installed DOD14M today and it's exactly what I hoped it would be! I had read some were having problems with the clamps not crushing the pipes easily...so I used a hacksaw to add 3 additional cuts in the end of intake pipe and 2 outlet pipes. Started her up and crawled back under truck to check for leaks and found none! Nice and "stock-quiet" at idle, yet a high-quality ROAR at wide-open throttle!

Old 10-08-2009 | 03:08 PM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by talehunter
Just installed DOD14M today and it's exactly what I hoped it would be! I had read some were having problems with the clamps not crushing the pipes easily...so I used a hacksaw to add 3 additional cuts in the end of intake pipe and 2 outlet pipes. Started her up and crawled back under truck to check for leaks and found none! Nice and "stock-quiet" at idle, yet a high-quality ROAR at wide-open throttle!
Some can and some can't...........good job. You have to enjoy what you are doing not just want a muffler you have to enjoy putting it on and then checking it like you said and no leaks, Do you guys get under there after it heats up good and coolsdown and retighten, or is that just for headers?

Old 10-08-2009 | 10:29 PM
M15
Veteran

I installed the 14 last week with no problems at all. Its got a Deep mean growl thats not to loud. And surprisingly quiet on the freeway too atleast until you get on it. And no discoloration on the tips yet.

Old 10-08-2009 | 10:34 PM
Bobba Booey
Amateur

Mine just arrived yesterday and I'm looking forward to installing. I'm considering getting a before and after dyno as well. I don't expect much of a gain from just a muffler, but at the very least I will have a nice baseline dyno.

I will post pics and vids for sure, jury is still out on the dyno.

Old 10-09-2009 | 10:24 AM
talehunter

Originally Posted by 72combo
Some can and some can't...........good job. You have to enjoy what you are doing not just want a muffler you have to enjoy putting it on and then checking it like you said and no leaks, Do you guys get under there after it heats up good and coolsdown and retighten, or is that just for headers?
Still tight, no leaks, and one of the best sounds I've ever heard.