4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Magnaflow/Mufflex

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009 | 10:51 AM
Oosik
Professional

I'm jealous, I have to wait until next week when my 18" Mufflex gets in. I did get my Air Raid CAI in last night and then my 4" Stainless Steel Nerf bars get in today. I'll have to post a picture of my truck when I get home if I don't forget.

Old 10-11-2009 | 04:53 PM
Oosik
Professional

Installed my muffler and CAI over the weekend. Does anyone else exhaust sound different when the MDS kicks in? It has a very peculiar sound but not bad. After driving around, should I get under and retain the clamps?

Old 10-12-2009 | 11:07 AM
danno5069
Professional
Default Mufflex sound MDS

What your hearing is a 4cyl with dual exhaust, sounds like **** but what can you do. What brand of CAI did you get and how much?

Old 10-12-2009 | 03:30 PM
Oosik
Professional

Air Raid MXP from autoanything, cost me $365 with free shipping. Hardest part and most frustrating was pulling out the air temperature sensor, the thing was a huge pain to get out.

Last edited by Oosik; 10-12-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-13-2009 | 07:36 PM
danno5069
Professional
Default Mufflex Quality?

Well I am not so stupid afterall. After removing the aligning divots and breaking a clamp trying to install my mufflex 24 on my 09 ram sport and hearing rave reviews from everyone else on how easy it was to install I figured it was just me.
I paid $40 to repair broken clamp today, Mufflex doesnt return calls once they have your money, After carefully tightening clamps one of the bolts broke, stupid me. Replaced bolt, tightened again, exhaust still loose, tightened more, still loose tightened more, broken bolt. I cant be that stupid, after examining clamp realized that the ENGINEERS at Mufflex supplied clamps that are the same diameter when closed as the pipes they go around. I was going to call Mufflex and point this out but they wont return my calls, they already have my money.
Anybody thinking of purchasing a Mufflex system should give your heads a shake, save yourself the greif and go to a muffler shop and have them build a system. The Magnaflow sounds great but the mickey mouse hanger is a joke. At least use clamps that fit and have some gearth to them, customer service would be nice to. Message to Mufflex, your customer service sucks , Dont waste your money and time on Mufflex.

Old 10-13-2009 | 07:38 PM
danno5069
Professional
Default spelling

Should be grief

Old 10-17-2009 | 06:30 PM
danno5069
Professional
Default Mufflex

Was going to have welded but called mufflex instead, appears they sent 2 1/2 inch instead of 2 1/4. Could have saved a lot of grief if kid making them was paying attention. Will keep you posted.

Old 03-03-2011 | 02:02 AM
customscene
Default MDS Sound only during kick in and out?

Hey all, first post - I know this is an old thread, but I figured it's better to re-post here than open a new thread.

I'm thinking about the Mufflex exhaust for my new Ram, but despite the videos and sound bytes I can't decide on how aggressive I want the truck to sound. Can anyone give me more info on what it sounds like when the MDS is active? I read a little about sound changes when it's kicking in and out, and some people have commented about when it's actually active...

Where I live there's plenty of hills, so I don't generally stay in "eco-mode" very long before I'm climbing again...

My other ride is a PT Cruiser (2.4L I-4) with a somewhat loud flowmaster exhaust - and it drones like crazy at highway speeds, but doesn't sound like a fart can muffler by any means.

Old 03-03-2011 | 03:34 PM
rking300
Professional

Last week I bought a drop in K&N filter and welded on a new magnaflow 18" muffler. For this week Ive calculated that I now get 3.4 more miles per gallon. HUGE difference in gas milage performance and sounds good. Wouldnt go with anything smaller than a 18" though (the in cab drone would be to much for my tastes)
Would go with the magnaflow and have it welded on at a exhaust shop. Only cost $150 bucks installed.

Old 03-03-2011 | 09:50 PM
StarBandit

I did the 24" Mufflex and like it. The 3" side didn't line up too well and had to jack up the Magnaflow to get it seated properly. The right exhaust tip looks a little off but it works. Tried several times to get it aligned better and gave up. This is all using the clamps and not welded. Wasn't sure if I'd like it after the burn in, so went clamps only to test.