4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Performance Upgrades for 2009 5.7 hemi

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 03:27 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mixgt
All I have to say is Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou
Originally Posted by BULLRAIDER
I turned ESP all the way off, over the weekend, by doing the challenger method, "removing the power from the dynamic sensor module it is fairly easy to find, but the lights wont go off after puting it back, it is a system that sets a light when the power is interrupted, to the sensor, the wheel well disconnect method might be better, I dont know if it leaves the lights on or not, driving it 50 miles did not re-set it either, going to the dealer to get it reset... and come up with a story. no biggie

the dynamic sensor is what the ESP works off of,and on the challengers ,you can put a toggle switch on the wire ,cutting the power to it, but not ours.........
Removing the dynamic sensor on our truck will require a trip to the dealer to turn it back on.

If the Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Module, Steering Angle Sensor (SAS), or the Dynamics Sensor was replaced, it must be initialized using the scan tool. If not initialized, the ABS indicator will flash continuously with no DTCs. To initialize the ABS Module and clear offsets have wheels pointing straight ahead and follow the directions on the scan tool. The drive test requires a 90° turn. If the Dynamics Sensor was replaced, test drive the vehicle by turning the vehicle left or right in a curving manner at a velocity between 10 and 25 km/h (6 and 15 mph).

Old 09-22-2009, 10:05 AM
mixgt
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im at work, ill get home wednesday afternoon and try it. I also found a web site noesp.com. They dont seem to have for the ram but i have a buddy at the dealership who is going to check the wiring diagram.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:28 AM
HemiAllout

I own a 2009 sport crewcab with the 5.7 hemi. Over the last few months i have been adding a few minor mods. Starting with a 18" magnaflow mufllex muffler which is a direct replacement for your stock muffler, no welding required. I also added a K&N aircharger cold air intake. between the 2 you will gain about 30HP at the rear wheels and gain 4MPG+. My last mod is a Diablo Sport Predator tuner (suppose to be excellent for the HEMI) At the 93 octane tune you will gain another 30Hp at the rear, 91 tune seems to work best for day to day driving (cost 200). By the time i was done the truck responded better and was very noticable in performance for the small amount of money spent.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:29 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

american racing makes some nice lt headers with new high flow cats and a y-pipe, intertia motorsports has a nice vvt cam for the trucks as well as ported/polished heads, arrington also has cams for vvt hemis. throw on a new throttle body as well as the normal bolt ons ( 180 tstat,muffler,intake,programmer) and you got a beast of a truck with the right high stall tq converter and gears can easily be in the low 13s...

Old 08-29-2010, 12:07 AM
eclipsems
Professional

Originally Posted by HemiAllout
I own a 2009 sport crewcab with the 5.7 hemi. Over the last few months i have been adding a few minor mods. Starting with a 18" magnaflow mufllex muffler which is a direct replacement for your stock muffler, no welding required. I also added a K&N aircharger cold air intake. between the 2 you will gain about 30HP at the rear wheels and gain 4MPG+. My last mod is a Diablo Sport Predator tuner (suppose to be excellent for the HEMI) At the 93 octane tune you will gain another 30Hp at the rear, 91 tune seems to work best for day to day driving (cost 200). By the time i was done the truck responded better and was very noticable in performance for the small amount of money spent.
60HP? LOL! Lucky if you see 30HP out of those mods.

I had to change a cam in my 427ci motor in my C6Z06 to see those power gains. Your not getting 60HP out of just an intake, muffler and mail order tune on a 5.7 N/A motor without opening it up.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:04 AM
kxwhite
Professional

ya i totally agree with you eclipsems, those numbers mean nothing with out a dyno done before and after. and as best of my knowledge i havent seen anybody dyno their truck.
hemiallout, u only think its better performance because its louder! get a dyno done and let us know what your actually numbers are. Not hating on you man, u just cant post numbers with out facts.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:14 PM
hpc3
Default Disabling the ESP will only affect directional control. TorqueMgmt is

Originally Posted by dhopkins
Has anyone tried this to turn off the ESP cmpletely on the RAM?
what you need to work on for horsepower and performance increases at lower speeds. You can watch the throttle body and TorqueMgmt do its thing relative to pedal position with many of the data logging packages(insert favorite pic here, I use the Diablo tools for monitoring/logging). You'll have to get into the fueling tables to change this aspect of the ECU/PCM. Need a dyno session and a tuner that can build you something that will override these aspects. ESP focuses on axis control and, yes, it can affect throttle and brake conditions but on the street its not what is pulling power under most circumstances.

Frankly I'd leave ESP on with a tuned truck/modified TorqueMgmt setup. The chassis is pretty squirrelly with ESP off... go play in a wet parking lot sometime with ESP off and on, slides are hard to recover with it off fwiw.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:15 PM
HemiAllout

Much like the majority of people that own a vehicle I do not have access to a dyno and yes I Know that each vehicle will have slightly different results. The numbers are from the dyno testing these companies do on there own product for the 09-10 hemi ram. K&N gives you a dyno sheet with the product wich was 15.66HP. Diablo postes there tests on line, 25-30HP. As for the magnaflow muffler when they called to confirm my order i had asked if it had been tested and at what, 13HP. Now remember these numbers are the MAX POTENTIAL of these products. I'm not here to steer someone wrong just going off of the information given. Thanks by the way on the pointless coment on sound = power, very helpful lol.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:33 PM
DesertHemi2500
Rookie

If you ask me the 09/10 hemi is underpowered for such a heavy truck. I have a 2500 Hemi and once I put wheels and tires on it became a total dog. Granted I know they are heavy wheels and tires but still... It should come with 400hp at least. I put steeper gears in mine, 4.56's and exhaust along with a cold air intake which made a big difference, the gears helped the most though. Don't do a programmer.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Talon_66
Professional

Originally Posted by HemiAllout
Much like the majority of people that own a vehicle I do not have access to a dyno and yes I Know that each vehicle will have slightly different results. The numbers are from the dyno testing these companies do on there own product for the 09-10 hemi ram. K&N gives you a dyno sheet with the product wich was 15.66HP. Diablo postes there tests on line, 25-30HP. As for the magnaflow muffler when they called to confirm my order i had asked if it had been tested and at what, 13HP. Now remember these numbers are the MAX POTENTIAL of these products. I'm not here to steer someone wrong just going off of the information given. Thanks by the way on the pointless coment on sound = power, very helpful lol.
Gains are never cumulative.

Quick Reply: Performance Upgrades for 2009 5.7 hemi